Dimensional Analysis - Schrödinger equation

In summary, the author attempted to find solutions to the dimensionless Schr oder equation for the harmonic oscillator using simultaneous equations and found that they were able to eliminate the \omega and m from the equation.
astro_girl
To illustrate the abstract reduction to dimensionless quantities apply it to the harmonic oscillator
V(x) = (m \omega^2 x^2) / 2
using x_0 = sqrt(h-bar/(m \omega))
and fi nd a dimensionless Schrodinger equation. Translate the known solutions to the Schrodinger
equation for the harmonic oscillator E_n = (n + 1/2)h-bar\omega
into the allowed energies ~E of the dimensionless Schrodinger equation.

I know this has to do with dimensional analysis, but I was sick when we had that class, and I've been searching for help on the internet the whole day without any luck. I don't think it is too difficult, I just don't really get what I have to do.

I guess the \omega and the m have to go, but how?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use LaTeX if you surround your equations by double $ or double # (for inline mode).

Can you re-write V in such a way that it just has factors of (x/x_0) instead of x?
Can you do something similar for the energies?

Welcome to PF;
I agree with mfb, but would put it differently...
I guess the \omega and the m have to go, but how?
You eliminate them using your simultaneous equations.
LaTeX makes the equations clearer like this:

(1) $$V(x) = \frac{1}{2} m \omega^2 x^2$$(2) $$x_0=\sqrt{ \frac{\hbar}{m\omega} }$$(are those correct?) i.e. for (2) don't you want ##x_0:V(x_0)=\frac{1}{2}\hbar## ?

Initially it looks like you have two equations and three unknowns - but ... notice how ##m\omega## always appear together in these equations? Maybe you can eliminate them together? (well... sort of)

... anyway - there's a third equation:
(3) $$E_n=\cdots$$

It will lead you down mfb's line... you are looking for ##V/E_n## in terms of ##x/x_0## ... treated that way you have three equations with three unknowns ... you just have to identify the unknowns. This you do by experience and you get that by trial and error.To see how I typeset the equations (essential for QM and useful elsewhere) just click on the "quote" button at the bottom of this post ;)

Last edited:

Related to Dimensional Analysis - Schrödinger equation

1. What is the Schrödinger equation used for in dimensional analysis?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system, such as an atom or molecule, in terms of its wave function. In dimensional analysis, the equation is used to determine the dimensions and units of physical quantities involved in a given system.

2. How does dimensional analysis relate to the Schrödinger equation?

Dimensional analysis is a powerful tool for understanding the underlying physical principles and relationships in a system. By applying the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of a quantum system, to a specific problem, we can determine the dimensions and units of the physical quantities involved.

3. Can the Schrödinger equation be used to solve any problem in dimensional analysis?

While the Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics, it is not always the best approach for solving problems in dimensional analysis. Other tools, such as the Buckingham Pi theorem, may be more appropriate for certain problems.

4. What are the key concepts to understand in order to use the Schrödinger equation in dimensional analysis?

In order to use the Schrödinger equation in dimensional analysis, it is important to have a solid understanding of quantum mechanics and the principles of wave mechanics. This includes knowledge of operators, eigenfunctions, and eigenvalues, as well as the physical significance of the wave function for a given system.

5. How is the Schrödinger equation derived in dimensional analysis?

The Schrödinger equation is derived from the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, including the wave-particle duality of matter and the uncertainty principle. It is based on the concept of the wave function, which describes the probability amplitude of a particle in a given position and time. From this, the equation can be derived using mathematical principles and techniques such as separation of variables and boundary conditions.