DiffyQ Word problem (growth rate)

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation involving population growth and the question of finding the initial population value that results in the greatest initial growth rate. The speaker has been struggling with the problem for over 90 minutes and is seeking clarification on the setup and solution. Another speaker suggests considering P(0) as an independent variable and finding the value that maximizes the dependent variable y = P'(0). The conversation also touches on using differential calculus to find the point where the derivative of y is 0.
PCSL
I have been trying to figure this problem out for more then 90 minutes and I think I'm past the point where I'm being productive:

A population P satisfies the differential equation:

[tex]P^'(t)=10^{-5}P(t)(15000-P(t))[/tex]

For what value P(0) of the initial population is the initial growth rate P'(0) greatest.

I end up with [tex]\frac{10^5}{P(15000-P)}dP=dt[/tex] which I have no clue how to integrate (I spent most of the 90 minutes trying to figure that out). Before I went on trying to integrate this I want to make sure I didn't set it up wrong. I thought about partial fractions but have no clue how to separate the denominator.

This is the first homework assignment I have ever had for DE and I apologize for posting two threads in two days, I'm trying my best to figure this stuff out.

Physics news on Phys.org
PCSL said:
I have been trying to figure this problem out for more then 90 minutes and I think I'm past the point where I'm being productive:

A population P satisfies the differential equation:

[tex]P^'(t)=10^{-5}P(t)(15000-P(t))[/tex]

For what value P(0) of the initial population is the initial growth rate P'(0) greatest.

I end up with [tex]\frac{10^5}{P(15000-P)}dP=dt[/tex] which I have no clue how to integrate (I spent most of the 90 minutes trying to figure that out). Before I went on trying to integrate this I want to make sure I didn't set it up wrong. I thought about partial fractions but have no clue how to separate the denominator.

This is the first homework assignment I have ever had for DE and I apologize for posting two threads in two days, I'm trying my best to figure this stuff out.

I don't even think you need to solve this DE in order to answer the question. You're considering t = 0 only, so forget that these are functions, forget the time dependence. You have some variable P'(0) that depends on some other variable P(0). So if you consider P(0) to be an independent variable x, then the dependent variable y = P'(0) is given by the expression y = 10^(-5) * x * (15,000 - x). All you have to do is find the value of x for which y is a maximum. It seems like that's all the question is asking.

cepheid said:
I don't even think you need to solve this DE in order to answer the question. You're considering t = 0 only, so forget that these are functions, forget the time dependence. You have some variable P'(0) that depends on some other variable P(0). So if you consider P(0) to be an independent variable x, then the dependent variable y = P'(0) is given by the expression y = 10^(-5) * x * (15,000 - x). All you have to do is find the value of x for which y is a maximum. It seems like that's all the question is asking.

That makes sense but even with the equation y = 10^(-5) * x * (15,000 - x) I have absolutely no clue how to go about finding the value of x where y is maximum..

PCSL said:
That makes sense but even with the equation y = 10^(-5) * x * (15,000 - x) I have absolutely no clue how to go about finding the value of x where y is maximum..

Well now that's just straight up differential calculus. The function y(x) has extrema (maxima or minima) at points where its derivative goes to 0.

cepheid said:
Well now that's just straight up differential calculus. The function y(x) has extrema (maxima or minima) at points where its derivative goes to 0.

*face palm*

Thanks.

Related to DiffyQ Word problem (growth rate)

1. What is a DiffyQ word problem?

A DiffyQ word problem involves using differential equations to solve real-world situations, particularly those involving growth rates.

2. How do you set up a DiffyQ word problem?

To set up a DiffyQ word problem, you first need to identify the variables involved, such as the initial value, growth rate, and time. Then, you can write a differential equation that represents the relationship between these variables.

3. What are some common applications of DiffyQ word problems?

DiffyQ word problems can be applied in various fields, such as biology, economics, and physics. For example, they can be used to model population growth, interest rates, and radioactive decay.

4. How do you solve a DiffyQ word problem?

To solve a DiffyQ word problem, you need to use mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. These techniques allow you to find the general solution to the differential equation, which can then be used to solve for specific values.

5. Are there any tips for solving DiffyQ word problems?

Some tips for solving DiffyQ word problems include carefully identifying the variables and their relationships, understanding the given conditions and constraints, and practicing solving similar problems to gain familiarity with the techniques involved.