Diffusion rate through lipid bilayer

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem that asks about the diffusion rate of compounds through a lipid bilayer. The speaker determines that the most nonpolar compound will diffuse the fastest and provides explanations for three pairs of compounds. However, the answers contradict the speaker's reasoning, as glucose is said to diffuse faster than glucosamine. The speaker is confused and questions why this is the case.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

I had a homework problem that asked "Which compound in each pair will diffuse with a higher rate through lipid bilayer? a) Asp or Glu; b) Thymidine or TMP; c) glucose or glucosamine"

And i figured the compound that is most nonpolar will go through fastest.

So I said that Glutamic acid would go through faster than aspartic acid because of the extra carbon; Thymidine would go through faster than TMP because the phosphate make TMP more polar; and I said glucosamine would go through faster because the amine group is less polar than the OH group that would be on glucose.

However, the answers say that glucose goes through faster than glucosamine. WHY?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why glucose would go through faster than glucosamine. I thought that the amine group on glucosamine would make it less polar and therefore faster?

Related to Diffusion rate through lipid bilayer

1. What is diffusion rate through lipid bilayer?

The diffusion rate through lipid bilayer refers to the speed at which molecules can pass through the layers of lipids that make up the cell membrane. This process is essential for the transportation of nutrients and other molecules into and out of cells.

2. How is diffusion rate through lipid bilayer measured?

The diffusion rate through lipid bilayer can be measured using various techniques, such as fluorescence recovery after photobleaching (FRAP), single particle tracking (SPT), or fluorescence correlation spectroscopy (FCS). These methods involve tracking the movement of molecules and calculating their diffusion coefficients.

3. What factors affect diffusion rate through lipid bilayer?

The diffusion rate through lipid bilayer is affected by several factors, including the size and charge of the molecule, the temperature, the concentration gradient, and the properties of the lipid bilayer itself (such as thickness and fluidity).

4. How does the structure of the lipid bilayer influence diffusion rate?

The structure of the lipid bilayer, specifically the composition of lipids and their arrangement, can greatly affect the diffusion rate. For example, the presence of cholesterol can decrease membrane fluidity and slow down diffusion, while unsaturated fatty acids can increase fluidity and enhance diffusion.

5. Why is diffusion through lipid bilayer important?

Diffusion through lipid bilayer is important for maintaining cellular homeostasis, as it allows for the transport of essential molecules (such as oxygen and nutrients) into the cell and the removal of waste products. It also plays a crucial role in cell signaling and communication, as molecules can diffuse through the membrane to reach their target cells or organelles.