Diffraction using a circular aperture

In summary, the author believes that the Rayleigh criterion is too optimistic and that the angle to the airy minimum is the same as the angle on the other side. They also think that the object side should be tangent.
Bolter
Homework Statement
See image below
Relevant Equations
dsin(theta) = 1.22 lambda
Here is the following question I have been trying to answer

Screenshot 2020-03-24 at 09.45.18.png

I have drawn a quick simple sketch of what I believe is happening in the set up.
Also because the angle that I am dealing with is very small, I made the assumption that sin(theta) = 12.9mm/X (where X in this case is the max distance I need from the observer)

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

IMG_4334.jpg

IMG_4335.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Bolter said:
Any help would be much appreciated!
Sure. What kind of help, except that we do your exercise :wink: ?

Do you think the answer is realistic ?

This is pretty much right except that diagram offends. Labeling the Airy pattern with the object distances looks terrible, and you don’t show x. Why not draw a diagram with two objects a distance 12.9mm apart a distance x from your pupil with a diameter d = 4.0 mm and continue through the pupil to a screen on the other side of the pupil on which you draw your Airy patterns and label your angle. It will be clear from the construction that the angle to the Airy minimum is the same as the angle on the other side.

One other quibble. It doesn’t matter for such small angles, but technically the object side should be tangent. Very technically the half angle should be the tangent with the half separation. On the other hand, with such a small angle thinking in arc and calling it sine is fairly defensible, and it won’t change the answer. Nevertheless, given the construction, tangent is more correct.

Likes Bolter
Agree with Cutter. Unfortunately, nowadays a quick google permits a superficial look at the situation and devaluates the essence of a relevant sketch.
@Bolter: you did just fine, but do take cutter's advice !

Furthermore I am of the opinion that the Rayleigh criterion is to optimistic o0)

Likes Bolter
Cutter Ketch said:
This is pretty much right except that diagram offends. Labeling the Airy pattern with the object distances looks terrible, and you don’t show x. Why not draw a diagram with two objects a distance 12.9mm apart a distance x from your pupil with a diameter d = 4.0 mm and continue through the pupil to a screen on the other side of the pupil on which you draw your Airy patterns and label your angle. It will be clear from the construction that the angle to the Airy minimum is the same as the angle on the other side.

One other quibble. It doesn’t matter for such small angles, but technically the object side should be tangent. Very technically the half angle should be the tangent with the half separation. On the other hand, with such a small angle thinking in arc and calling it sine is fairly defensible, and it won’t change the answer. Nevertheless, given the construction, tangent is more correct.

Thank you I can now see from what you have mentioned how flawed my sketch appears to be :rolleyes: but it makes sense now :)

Related to Diffraction using a circular aperture

1. What is diffraction using a circular aperture?

Diffraction using a circular aperture is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves pass through a circular opening, causing the waves to spread out and interfere with each other. This results in a pattern of bright and dark spots known as a diffraction pattern.

2. How does the size of the circular aperture affect diffraction?

The size of the circular aperture plays a crucial role in diffraction. The smaller the aperture, the greater the diffraction effect. This means that a smaller aperture will produce a more pronounced diffraction pattern, while a larger aperture will produce a less pronounced pattern.

3. What is the relationship between the wavelength of light and diffraction using a circular aperture?

The wavelength of light also affects diffraction using a circular aperture. The smaller the wavelength, the more pronounced the diffraction pattern will be. This is why diffraction is more noticeable with shorter wavelengths, such as blue light, compared to longer wavelengths, such as red light.

4. Can diffraction using a circular aperture be observed with the naked eye?

Yes, diffraction using a circular aperture can be observed with the naked eye. However, the diffraction pattern may not be as distinct or noticeable without the aid of specialized equipment or techniques.

5. What are some real-world applications of diffraction using a circular aperture?

Diffraction using a circular aperture has many practical applications, such as in the design of optical instruments like cameras and telescopes. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, microscopy, and spectroscopy to analyze and study objects at a microscopic level.