Diffraction grating problem involving two wavelengths.

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of m for a diffraction grating with 4,200 rulings/cm, where two closely spaced wavelengths of sodium (589.0 nm and 589.6 nm) are separated by 1.54 mm on a screen 2.00 m away from the grating. Using the equation dsinθ = mλ (for bright fringes) and making the small angle approximation, a value of m = 3 was initially obtained. However, the angles involved in this problem are too large for this approximation, so the accurate method of sinθ = y/hypotenuse was used. By substituting this expression for sinθ in the original equations and solving for y in terms of
bfrank

Homework Statement

A diffraction grating has 4,200 rulings/cm. On a screen 2.00 m from the grating, it is found that for a particular order m, the maximum corresponding to two closely spaced wavelengths of sodium (589.0 nm and 589.6 nm) are separated by 1.54 mm. Determine the value of m.

Homework Equations

dsinθ = mλ (for bright fringes)

The Attempt at a Solution

I spent about 15 minutes working this problem out under the assumption that sinθ ≈ tanθ = y/L. First, I drew a diagram of the corresponding bright fringes, and I made λ1 correspond to the wavelength that is higher on the screen, while λ2 is lower on the screen. Since λ1 has a larger angle in my diagram, I knew that λ1 should be 589.6 nm for my equations and λ2 should be 589.0 nm. Also, I knew that y2 = y1 - 1.54*10-3. I came up with two equations:

dsinθ1 = mλ1 → dy1/L = mλ1
dsinθ2 = mλ2 → dy2/L = mλ2 → d(y1 - 1.54*10-3) = mλ2

I divided these two equations, went through some algebra, solved for y1, and plugged it back into the first equation I found to solve for m; I got m = 3. However, I checked the back of the book and it says m = 2. So, I checked over my work again and realized that the small angle approximation I made does not hold because the angles are not small for diffraction gratings (correct me if I'm wrong). Now, I'm back to square one and honestly not sure where to go. I know sinθ = y/hypotenuse, but it seems like this route could get very algebraically sloppy, and I don't want to go down that road before getting some help.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
bfrank said:
dsinθ1 = mλ1 → dy1/L = mλ1
dsinθ2 = mλ2 → dy2/L = mλ2d(y1 - 1.54*10-3) = mλ2

L is missing from the equation marked wit red.

So you have the equations

dy1/L = mλ1*

d(y1 - 1.54*10-3)/L = mλ2 -->

dy1 /L-1.54*10-3*d/L=mλ2**

Plug in mλ1 for dy1/L in the second one, and substitute the values for d, L, and for the wavelengths.

ehild

ehild said:
L is missing from the equation marked wit red.

So you have the equations

dy1/L = mλ1*

d(y1 - 1.54*10-3)/L = mλ2 -->

dy1 /L-1.54*10-3*d/L=mλ2**

Plug in mλ1 for dy1/L in the second one, and substitute the values for d, L, and for the wavelengths.

ehild

I actually had that missing L in my work, that was just a typo on here, sorry about that! I went through the work for the way you suggested (which was much easier than the way I did it, haha), but still got the same answer I got before (m = 3). Any other suggestions? I still think it's because I'm not allowed to make the small angle approximation with this problem, but I'm not sure where to go after knowing that.

Thanks again!

Yes, d=0.01/4200=2.381*10-6. For m=1,
sin(theta) = Lambda/d=589*10-9/(2.381*10-6)=0.247 so theta=14.3°, and tan(theta)=0.256.

This angle is rather big to use the small angle approximation, and the other angles, belonging to m=2 or 3 are even bigger.
Let's try the accurate way. y/L =tan(theta).

[tex]sin\theta=\frac{tan(\theta)}{\sqrt{1+tan^2(\theta)}}[/tex],

and substituting tan(θ) with y/L,

[tex]sin\theta=\frac{y/L}{\sqrt{1+(y/L)^2}}[/tex]

Substitute this expression for sin theta in the original equations. You get equations both for y1 and y2. Square them to remove the the root, and solve for the y-s in terms of m. Now try m=1, 2,... and see the difference y1-y2. Take care, calculate with 7 digits or more.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Yes, d=0.01/4200=2.381*10-6. For m=1,
sin(theta) = Lambda/d=589*10-9/(2.381*10-6)=0.247 so theta=14.3°, and tan(theta)=0.256.

This angle is rather big to use the small angle approximation, and the other angles, belonging to m=2 or 3 are even bigger.
Let's try the accurate way. y/L =tan(theta).

[tex]sin\theta=\frac{tan(\theta)}{\sqrt{1+tan^2(\theta)}}[/tex],

and substituting tan(θ) with y/L,

[tex]sin\theta=\frac{y/L}{\sqrt{1+(y/L)^2}}[/tex]

Substitute this expression for sin theta in the original equations. You get equations both for y1 and y2. Square them to remove the the root, and solve for the y-s in terms of m. Now try m=1, 2,... and see the difference y1-y2. Take care, calculate with 7 digits or more.

ehild

Ah, finally got it! I knew I had to use some trig identity, but I couldn't figure out what. Thank you so much!

Related to Diffraction grating problem involving two wavelengths.

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical component with a series of parallel grooves or slits that are evenly spaced. It is used to separate a beam of light into its component wavelengths, similar to a prism.

2. What is the "diffraction grating problem involving two wavelengths"?

In this problem, a diffraction grating is used to separate a beam of light into two different wavelengths. The goal is to determine the angle at which the two wavelengths will diffract, and how far apart they will be on a screen.

3. How is the angle of diffraction calculated in this problem?

The angle of diffraction for a specific wavelength can be calculated using the formula: sinθ = mλ/d, where θ is the angle of diffraction, m is the order of the diffraction, λ is the wavelength, and d is the spacing between the grooves on the diffraction grating.

4. How does the spacing between the grooves affect the diffraction pattern?

The spacing between the grooves on a diffraction grating determines the angular dispersion, or the separation between the diffracted wavelengths. A smaller spacing will result in a larger angular dispersion, meaning the two wavelengths will be further apart on the screen.

5. What other factors can affect the diffraction pattern in this problem?

The wavelength of the incident light, the order of the diffraction, and the properties of the material used in the diffraction grating can also affect the diffraction pattern. Additionally, the distance between the diffraction grating and the screen can also impact the pattern.