Diffraction Grating Multiple Choice Questions

In summary, the conversation covers multiple choice questions related to the Huygens-Fresnel principle and its application in slits and apertures. The answers to the questions regarding the effects of covering up a slit, the application of the principle in a laser beam without a slit, and the conditions for resolving two sources in a telescope are still unknown. The person asking for help expresses their lack of knowledge on the topic and is encouraged to try answering the questions and researching the topic to avoid failing the exam.
pari786
Hey, I have to answer the following multiple choice questions ... its relevant to my exam which is day after tomorrow. Can anyone please tell which options should be the answers and why... I don't have any clue about these. So please don't delete this post ... instead please help me to pass the exam. I'll never forget your guy's help. Thanks

Covering up one of the slits on a double slit experiment would have which of the following effects?

a. The larger pattern would get slightly smaller
b. The small pattern within the larger pattern would get slightly larger
c. The larger pattern would disappear
d. The smaller pattern within the larger pattern would disappear
e. The small angle approximation would no longer be valid

The Huygens-Fresnel principle tells us to pretend that each point of a wavefront in a slit or aperture is a point source of light emitting a spherical wave. Is this true only for points inside the slit? What if there is no slit? The Huygens-Fresnel principle really applies

1. to any point anywhere in a beam path.
2. to any point in a beam path where matter is present.
3. only in slits or apertures.

If the Huygens-Fresnel principle applies to any point anywhere in a beam path, why doesn’t a laser beam without any slit spread out in all directions?

1. Because all waves that spread interfere destructively.
2. It does spread, but the spread is so small that we normally don’t notice it.
3. We can’t apply the Huygens-Fresnel principle anywhere but in slits and apertures.

Light waves from two point-like sources arrive at the circular aperture of a telescope simultaneously. The telescope will resolve the two sources if which of the following conditions is satisfied?

1. the Fresnel approximation
2. the Fraunhofer approximation
3. the Huygens-Fresnel principle
4. the Rayleigh criterion
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think the answers might be and why? :smile:

Some things to consider:

1) What light pattern does a single slit produce?
2) Does your textbook show a sketch illustrating the Fresnel Huygens principle, and if so, what does it show?
3) Is the end of the laser cavity a kind of circular slit?
4) What does it really mean to be able to "resolve" two points?

JeffKoch said:
What do you think the answers might be and why? :smile:

Some things to consider:

1) What light pattern does a single slit produce?
2) Does your textbook show a sketch illustrating the Fresnel Huygens principle, and if so, what does it show?
3) Is the end of the laser cavity a kind of circular slit?
4) What does it really mean to be able to "resolve" two points?

I already said that I don't know anything about this stuff. :cry: :cry:

Then if you don't try, you'll deserve to flunk. :smile:

Try to answer the questions I posed, one by one.

JeffKoch said:
Then if you don't try, you'll deserve to flunk. :smile:

Try to answer the questions I posed, one by one.

thanks anyways.

Do you have a textbook? Have you tried researching it on the web or in a library?

Related to Diffraction Grating Multiple Choice Questions

What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical component with a periodic structure that splits and diffracts light into its component wavelengths. It consists of a large number of parallel, evenly spaced slits or grooves that are etched onto a surface.

How does a diffraction grating work?

When a beam of light passes through a diffraction grating, it is diffracted by each individual slit or groove. The diffracted light waves interfere with each other, creating a pattern of bright and dark fringes called an interference pattern. This pattern is used to separate the different wavelengths of light.

What is the difference between a transmission and reflection diffraction grating?

A transmission diffraction grating allows light to pass through the grating, while a reflection diffraction grating reflects light off its surface. The main difference is the direction of the diffracted light. In a transmission grating, the diffracted light is transmitted through the grating, while in a reflection grating, the diffracted light is reflected back towards the source.

What factors affect the performance of a diffraction grating?

The performance of a diffraction grating is affected by several factors, including the number of slits or grooves per unit length, the spacing between the slits or grooves, and the angle of incidence of the light. The material and quality of the grating also play a role in its performance.

What are some applications of diffraction gratings?

Diffraction gratings have a wide range of applications in various fields, including spectroscopy, telecommunications, and laser technology. They are used to disperse and analyze light, create optical filters, and improve the resolution of imaging systems. They are also used in the production of holograms, optical data storage, and 3D displays.