Diffraction experiments with one particle at a time?

In summary, the author is looking for an experiment that doesn't show a diffraction pattern in a single slit experiment.
Sandeep T S
Is anyone did experiment on diffraction with single particle at a time? Do they get diffraction pattern? I referred particle as both electron and photon
And I want to know any experiment( classical, or single particle at time) don't show any diffraction pattern in single slit experiment.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
YES

Likes Klystron
What research have you done on this? For example, if you type your question into Google - verbatim - you get half a million results. Did you look at any of them? What didn't you understand?

Vanadium 50 said:
What research have you done on this? For example, if you type your question into Google - verbatim - you get half a million results. Did you look at any of them? What didn't you understand?
I looking for some particular experiment everything in net is classical diffraction.
I want anyone done modern type single slit diffraction, I don't get anything in internet

Last edited:
Maybe, the following paper might be of interest for you:
Zeilinger, Anton & Gahler, Roland & G. Shull, C & Treimer, Wolfgang & Mampe, Walter. (1988). Single and double-slit diffraction of neutrons. Reviews of Modern Physics - REV MOD PHYS. 60. 1067-1073. 10.1103/RevModPhys.60.1067.
(PDF) Single and double-slit diffraction of neutrons - ResearchGate

Lord Jestocost said:
Zeilinger, Anton & Gahler, Roland & G. Shull, C & Treimer, Wolfgang & Mampe, Walter. (1988). Single and double-slit diffraction of neutrons. Reviews of Modern Physics - REV MOD PHYS. 60. 1067-1073. 10.1103/RevModPhys.60.1067.
Thank you , actually I early find out this experiment. But I couldn't access to PDF. Thanks

Lord Jestocost said:
I can't load the link,

It loads properly for me (Chrome running on a Linux laptop) when I click the "Download full-text pdf" button at the upper right corner of the researchgate page Lord Jestocost linked to.

Likes bhobba
Nugatory said:
It loads properly for me (Chrome running on a Linux laptop) when I click the "Download full-text pdf" button at the upper right corner of the researchgate page Lord Jestocost linked to.
I got it

Related to Diffraction experiments with one particle at a time?

1. How does diffraction occur with only one particle at a time?

Diffraction occurs when a single particle passes through a narrow slit or opening, causing it to spread out and interfere with itself. This phenomenon is known as the wave-particle duality of matter, where particles can exhibit wave-like behavior.

2. What is the purpose of conducting diffraction experiments with one particle at a time?

Conducting diffraction experiments with one particle at a time allows scientists to study the behavior of individual particles and better understand the wave-like properties of matter. It also helps to eliminate any interference or noise from multiple particles, providing more accurate results.

3. How does the size of the slit or opening affect the diffraction pattern?

The size of the slit or opening directly affects the diffraction pattern. A narrower slit or smaller opening will result in a wider diffraction pattern, while a wider slit or larger opening will produce a narrower pattern. This is because the size of the opening determines the amount of diffraction that occurs.

4. Can diffraction experiments with one particle at a time be used to determine the size of particles?

Yes, diffraction experiments with one particle at a time can be used to determine the size of particles. By measuring the diffraction pattern and analyzing the interference patterns, scientists can calculate the size of the particle passing through the opening.

5. Are there any real-world applications for diffraction experiments with one particle at a time?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for diffraction experiments with one particle at a time. For example, it has been used in the field of nanotechnology to study and manipulate individual particles. It is also used in particle accelerators to study the behavior of particles at high speeds.