Difficult Integral Question: Need Help Solving LaTeX Code

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in solving an integral problem involving substitutions, integration by parts, and Wolfram Alpha. The integral does not have an elementary antiderivative and was possibly taken from a book or image. The person has been unable to solve it and wonders if finding Taylor series for each function could help. Ultimately, it is revealed that the person's friend did not actually take the integral from a textbook and it was a waste of time trying to solve it.
Utilite
Please help, I am not sure if you can read my latex code. A friend of mine sent this to me before her final exam, I have been trying to solve it for 3-4 days. I used some substitutions, I tried integration by parts but couldn't get a solution. I used wolfram alpha but it needs more time and for that I have to be premium. I couldn't get this solved on Matlab.
##\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{x}{x^2+1}\tan{x}\cos{((\tan(x))^2)}dx##

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does this integral come from? It doesn't appear to have an elementary antiderivative, so do you have any reason to believe you'll be able to find a closed-form solution?

axmls said:
Where does this integral come from? It doesn't appear to have an elementary antiderivative, so do you have any reason to believe you'll be able to find a closed-form solution?
Well, I just asked my friend she said that she didn't actually take this from a textbook. There was a book or something a guy is talking about his high school life and then there is this integral on the page like an image or something. Well, it turns out I was just wasting my time.
Still, I wonder do you have solution of this, the one thing comes to my mind is to find Taylor series of each function and integrate.

Related to Difficult Integral Question: Need Help Solving LaTeX Code

What is a hard integral question?

A hard integral question is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the area under a curve using integration. These problems typically require advanced mathematical skills and techniques to solve.

Why are hard integral questions important?

Hard integral questions are important because they allow us to solve complex real-world problems that cannot be solved using basic arithmetic. They are also a fundamental concept in calculus, which is a crucial branch of mathematics for many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some common strategies for solving hard integral questions?

Some common strategies for solving hard integral questions include using integration by parts, substitution, and partial fractions. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the properties and rules of integration, such as the power rule, chain rule, and u-substitution.

What are some tips for approaching a hard integral question?

When tackling a hard integral question, it is important to first understand the problem and identify the given information. Then, try to simplify the problem by using algebraic manipulation or trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to break the integral into smaller parts and use known integration rules to solve each part.

Are there any resources available to help with hard integral questions?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with hard integral questions. These include textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor when facing particularly challenging problems.