Differentiation of natural logarithms

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof problem involving the derivatives of natural logarithms, specifically a rule for finding the derivative of a^u. The conversation includes a few identities used to prove the rule and a discussion on how to properly apply the chain rule. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with a simple explanation on how to find the derivative of e^{u\ln{a}} by pulling out the constant ln(a).
razored
I encountered a proof problem when I was reading up on the derivatives of natural logarithms' section. It gave a rule which said this : [tex]\text{For } a >0 \text{ and } a\ne 1 \text{,}\\\frac{d}{dx}(a^{u}) \ = \ a^{u} \ \ln{a\frac{du}{dx}}[/tex]

To prove it on my own, I made a few identities:
[tex]a^{u}=y [/tex]
[tex] u \ln{a}=\ln{y} [/tex]
[tex] e^{u\ln{a}}=e^{\ln{y}} \text{ or } e^{u\ln{a}}=y[/tex]

Now taking the derivative of [tex]\frac{d}{dx}a^{u}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}a^{u}=\frac{d}{dx}[e^{u\ln{a}}][/tex] I obtained this result by substituting a^u for its identity.
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[e^{u\ln{a}}]=(e^{u\ln{a}}) \frac{d[e^{u\ln{a}}]}{dx}[/tex]
Utilizing the chain rule, I obtained that. But, I do not know how to take the derivative of [tex]e^{u \ln{a}}[/tex] on the right hand side.
Can anyone give me a simple explanation how to find the derivative of [tex]e^{u \ln{a}}[/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are getting the chain rule wrong. d/dx(e^(u*lna))=(e^(u*lna))*d/dx(u*lna). lna is a constant.

Sorry, accidentally wrote it wrong.
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}[e^{u\ln{a}}]=(e^{u\ln{a}}) \frac{d}{dx}[u\ln{a}]
[/tex] is what I meant to write. But, my concern is, how do I simply [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[u\ln{a}][/tex] ?

What is ln(a)?

ln a is a constant. Just pull it out. d/dx(u*ln(a))=ln(a)*du/dx.

A constant. I get [tex](e^{u\ln{a}}) \frac{d[u\ln{a}]}{dx}= (e^{u\ln{a}}*\ln{a}) \frac{du}{dx}= (a^{u}*\ln{a}) \frac{du}{dx}[/tex] which exactly matches the rule. Thanks.

Related to Differentiation of natural logarithms

What is the natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm, represented by the symbol ln, is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the exponential function. It is used to find the time needed to reach a certain level of growth or decay, and is an important tool in calculus and other mathematical applications.

How is the natural logarithm different from other logarithms?

The natural logarithm uses the base e, also known as Euler's number, which is approximately 2.71828. Other logarithms use different bases, such as base 10 or base 2. The natural logarithm is also unique in that it is the only logarithmic function that is notated without a subscript.

What is the process of differentiating natural logarithms?

To differentiate a natural logarithm, you use the chain rule, which states that the derivative of ln(u) is equal to u' divided by u. In other words, you take the derivative of the argument inside the ln function, and then divide by the original argument. For example, the derivative of ln(x^2) would be (2x)/x^2, which simplifies to 2/x.

What are some common applications of differentiating natural logarithms?

Differentiating natural logarithms is used in various fields such as economics, physics, and biology. It can be used to model population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest. It is also used in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function.

Are there any special rules for differentiating natural logarithms?

Yes, there are a few special rules for differentiating natural logarithms. These include the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. It is important to understand and apply these rules correctly in order to successfully differentiate natural logarithmic functions.