Differentiating trigonometric F'ns with double angles

In summary, the question is whether the chain rule can be used to solve for the derivative of Sin(tan 2x) with respect to x. The answer is yes, but there is an error in the technique of taking the derivative of tan 2x. The correct solution using the chain rule is d/dx Sin(tan 2x) = cos(tan2x)Sec^2(2x).
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Sin(tan(2x))
With respect to x

Homework Equations

Differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is whether I can simply use d/dx (Tan x) = Sec^2(X) to extrapolate that to d/dx(tan 2x) = Sec^2(2x) ?

Or do I have to convert to sine/cosine and go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well,

You I want to point out that (tan2x)' does not equal to sec^2(2x). (Error in technique).

However, the generally idea isn ok (assuming you using the chain rule in regards to sin(tan(2x)).

So this problem can't be solved by using the chain rule thusly:

d/dx Sin(tan 2x) = cos(tan2x)Sec^2(2x)?

It turns into:

Sin(tan 2x) (2)d/dx [sinxcosx / (cos^2(X) - Sin^2(x))]quotient rule etc... damn this is going to be messy. Am I on the right track at least?

Last edited:
"d/dx Sin(tan 2x) = cos(tan2x)Sec^2(2x)?"

This is essentially correct, but you're making an error when you take the derivative of tan2x. I'm hoping you look at that part just a little harder and figure out what that error exactly is.

d/dx tan 2x = [sec^2 (2x)] (2)

?

Related to Differentiating trigonometric F'ns with double angles

1. What are the basic trigonometric identities for double angles?

The basic trigonometric identities for double angles are:
- sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x)
- cos(2x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x)
- tan(2x) = 2tan(x) / 1 - tan^2(x)

2. How do I differentiate a trigonometric function with a double angle?

To differentiate a trigonometric function with a double angle, you can use the basic identities and the chain rule.
For example, if you have f(x) = sin(2x), the derivative would be f'(x) = 2cos(2x).

3. Can I use the power rule to differentiate a trigonometric function with a double angle?

No, the power rule cannot be directly applied to differentiate a trigonometric function with a double angle. You need to use the basic identities and the chain rule to properly differentiate the function.

4. Are there any shortcuts for differentiating trigonometric functions with double angles?

Yes, there are some shortcuts that can be used for differentiating trigonometric functions with double angles. For example, if you have f(x) = cos(2x), you can use the derivative formula f'(x) = -sin(2x) to avoid using the basic identities and the chain rule.

5. Can I differentiate other trigonometric functions with double angles besides sine, cosine, and tangent?

Yes, you can differentiate other trigonometric functions with double angles using the basic identities and the chain rule. Some examples include:
- cot(2x) = -2 / sin^2(2x)
- sec(2x) = 2sec(2x)tan(2x)
- csc(2x) = -2csc(2x)cot(2x)