Differentiating the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff (TOV) pressure equation

In summary, the task at hand is to differentiate the pressure equation P(r) for the case where density is constant, and show that it is of the same form as the dP/dr equation. The equations involved are P(r), β, dP/dr, dm/dr, m(r), and ρ(r). The attempt at a solution involved using the quotient rule and chain rule, but the person got stuck at a certain point and is unsure of what to do next.
S.H.2013

Homework Statement

I need to differentiate the pressure P(r) equation directly below, for the case where the density is constant (i.e. ρ(r) = ρc), to show that it is of the same form as the dP/dr equation further below:

Homework Equations

P(r) = rhoc×c2×( (√(1-2βr2/R2) - √(1-2β))/(√(1-2β) - √(1-2βr2/R2)) )

β = GM/Rc2

dP/dr = -G[( (ρ(r) + P(r)/c2)×(m(r) + 4∏r^3P(r)/c2) )/ r(r - 2Gm(r)/c2)]

dm/dr = 4r2ρ(r)

m(r) = M(r/R)3

ρ(r) = ρc

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to differentiate the P(r) using the quotient rule (combined with chain rule) and substituted in for β and m(r) but got stuck at a point and don't know what to do next.

The point that I got stuck at is when:

dP/dr = 2GMrc2/R3×{ [3(1-2GM/Rc2)1/2/(1-2GMr2/c2R3)1/2 - 1] - [1 - (1-2GM/Rc2)1/2/(1-2GMr2/R3c2)1/2 ] } / { [10-18GM/Rc2-2GMr2/R3c2-6(1-2GM/Rc2)1/2(1-2GMr2/R3c2)1/2] }

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this is the correct form or if I should just keep going with differentiating further.

Related to Differentiating the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff (TOV) pressure equation

1. What is the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff (TOV) pressure equation?

The TOV pressure equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between pressure and density in a star. It was developed by physicists Richard C. Tolman, J. Robert Oppenheimer, and George M. Volkoff in the 1930s.

2. Why is the TOV pressure equation important?

The TOV pressure equation is important because it allows scientists to model and understand the internal structure of stars. By using this equation, researchers can calculate the maximum mass that a star can have before it collapses into a black hole.

3. How is the TOV pressure equation different from other equations used to study stars?

The TOV pressure equation takes into account the effects of both gravity and pressure on the structure of a star. This makes it more accurate and useful for studying compact objects like neutron stars and white dwarfs, which have extremely high densities and strong gravitational forces.

4. Can the TOV pressure equation be applied to other objects besides stars?

While the TOV pressure equation was specifically developed for studying stars, it can also be applied to other objects with similar properties, such as planets and even atomic nuclei.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions in the TOV pressure equation?

Like any scientific equation, the TOV pressure equation has limitations and makes certain assumptions. For example, it assumes that the star is in a steady state and does not take into account factors such as rotation or magnetic fields. Additionally, it does not account for the effects of quantum mechanics, which are important at very high densities.