Differentiating logarithmic functions

In summary, the problem involves differentiating y = e4x/x2+1 using the quotient rule. The first step is to rewrite the equation as (x2+1)* d/dx e4x) - d/dx (x2+1)* e4x all over (x2 + 1) 2. Then, using the chain rule, the derivative of e^(4x) is found to be 4e^(4x). Finally, the derivative of y = e4x/x2+1 is calculated to be 4e^(4x)/(x2+1)^2.
cinematic

Homework Statement

Differentiate the following:

y = e4x/x2+1

2. The attempt at a solution

I know you have to use quotient rule here.

so I wrote out (x2+1)* d/dx e4x) - d/dx (x2+1)* e4x all over (x2 + 1) 2

I have no idea how to continue on from here...how would you differentiate e to the power of 4x without this technique: I let u = 4x, then
y = e^u
dy/du = e^u = e^(4x)
du/dx = 4

dy/dx = (dy/du)(du/dx) = 4e^(4x)

If someone could please provide a full solution, this is really appreciated, I've got a test coming up very very soon!

Physics news on Phys.org
So far, so good. The derivative of e^(4x) = 4e^(4x).

Ok I finished the entire problem and got the right answer, thanks for the confirmation that my derivative was right!

Related to Differentiating logarithmic functions

1. What is a logarithmic function?

A logarithmic function is the inverse of an exponential function. It is written in the form f(x) = logb(x), where b is the base of the logarithm. It represents the power to which the base must be raised to equal the input value.

2. How do you differentiate a logarithmic function?

To differentiate a logarithmic function, you can use the logarithmic differentiation technique. This involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the function, using the properties of logarithms to simplify, and then differentiating both sides using the chain rule. The resulting derivative will be in the form of f'(x) = [f(x) / x] * f'(x).

3. What is the derivative of ln(x)?

The derivative of ln(x) is 1/x. This can be derived using the logarithmic differentiation technique or by using the fact that the derivative of the natural logarithm function is 1/x.

4. Can you differentiate a logarithmic function with a base other than e?

Yes, logarithmic functions can be differentiated with any base. The derivative of logb(x) is 1/(x * ln(b)), which can be obtained by using the change of base formula.

5. What is the purpose of differentiating a logarithmic function?

Differentiating a logarithmic function helps in finding the rate of change of the function at a specific point. It is also useful in solving optimization problems and in finding the slope of a curve at a given point.