Differentiating an integral wrt a function

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving differentiating an integral with respect to $f$ and finding the answer to be $\ln f(x)$, given that $h(f)$ is a concave function over a convex set. The exact statement is given and some unconventional notation is clarified. The book should define the symbols and notation used. It is deduced that $f$ is an element of a convex set and may not necessarily be a function. The notation $\int f \ln f$ is clarified to mean integrating ln f with respect to f. The integrals do not have specified boundaries and it is unclear what $f(x)$, the xth component of f, is supposed to represent.
OhMyMarkov
Hello everyone!

I've came across this problem: differentiate $\int _S f \ln f$ with respect to $f$. From previous explanation, I believe $\int _S f \ln f$ means $\int _S f(x) \ln f(x)dx$.

The answer is $\ln f(x)$... Could anyone indicate how they reached this answer?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
OhMyMarkov said:
Hello everyone!

I've came across this problem: differentiate $\int _S f \ln f$ with respect to $f$. From previous explanation, I believe $\int _S f \ln f$ means $\int _S f(x) \ln f(x)dx$.

The answer is $\ln f(x)$... Could anyone indicate how they reached this answer?

Thanks!

Hi OhMyMarkov! :)

I suspect that should read $\int _S^f \ln f df$.

Suppose the anti-derivative of ln(x) is LN(x), then it follows that:

$\frac{d}{df}(\int _S^f \ln f df) = \frac{d}{df}(\int _S^f \ln x dx) = \frac{d}{df}(LN( f ) - LN( S )) = \ln f$

Hello ILikeSerena, thanks for replying!

Okay, now I have the book, please let me give out the exact statement:

$h(f )$ is a concave function over a convex set. We form the functional:

\begin{equation}
\displaystyle J(f )= -\int f\ln f + \lambda _0 \int f + \sum _k \lambda _k \int f r_k
\end{equation}

and "differentiate" with respect to $f(x)$, the $x$th component of $f$, to obtain

\begin{equation}
\displaystyle \frac{\partial J}{\partial f(x)} = -\ln f(x) -1 +\lambda _0 + \sum _k \lambda _k r_k (x)
\end{equation}

Perhaps the problem statement is now clearer...

Hmm, things certainly have changed.

I'm looking at what is some unconventional notation.
Perhaps you can clarify some of it, because I'm guessing a little bit too much.
Your book should define the symbols and notation used somewhere, typically at the beginning of the chapter or the introduction of the book.

From h(f) is a concave function on a convex set, I deduce that f is an element of a convex set.
That suggests that f is not a function, but for instance an element of R^n.
Is it, or could it be a function?

Looking at the results, it appears that $\int f \ln f$ means $\int df \ln f$, that is ln f integrated with respect to f.
Could that be it?
In that case everything appears to work out, except for the "-1"...

For the integrals no boundary is specified.
But the calculation suggests a constant lower bound, perhaps minus infinity, and an upper bound of f, or something like that...?

Can you clarify what f(x), the xth component of f is supposed to mean?

Hello there!

Differentiating an integral with respect to a function is known as the Leibniz integral rule. In this case, we have an integral of the form $\int_S f(x) \ln f(x) dx$, where $S$ is some region of integration. To differentiate this with respect to $f(x)$, we can use the Leibniz integral rule, which states that:

$\frac{d}{df(x)} \int_S f(x) g(x) dx = \int_S \frac{\partial}{\partial f(x)} (f(x)g(x)) dx = \int_S g(x) dx$

Applying this rule to our integral, we get:

$\frac{d}{df(x)} \int_S f(x) \ln f(x) dx = \int_S \frac{\partial}{\partial f(x)} (f(x)\ln f(x)) dx = \int_S \ln f(x) dx$

Therefore, the answer is indeed $\ln f(x)$. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Differentiating an integral wrt a function

1. What is the purpose of differentiating an integral with respect to a function?

Differentiating an integral with respect to a function allows us to find the rate of change of the integral with respect to changes in the function. This is useful in many areas of science, such as physics and economics.

2. How do you differentiate an integral with respect to a function?

To differentiate an integral with respect to a function, we use the chain rule. We first rewrite the integral in terms of the function and then apply the chain rule to find the derivative.

3. What is the difference between differentiating an integral with respect to a variable and a function?

Differentiating an integral with respect to a variable results in a single value, while differentiating with respect to a function results in a function of the original variable. This is because the function is treated as a variable in the differentiation process.

4. Can you provide an example of differentiating an integral with respect to a function?

Sure, let's say we have the integral ∫x^3dx and we want to differentiate it with respect to the function f(x) = x^2. We first rewrite the integral as ∫f(x)^3dx and then apply the chain rule to get the derivative of f(x)^3, which is 3f(x)^2f'(x). Substituting in our function f(x) = x^2, we get the final result of 3x^4.

5. What are some applications of differentiating an integral with respect to a function?

One application is in optimization problems, where we want to find the maximum or minimum value of an integral that depends on a function. Another application is in physics, where we use differentiating an integral with respect to a function to find the velocity and acceleration of a moving object.