Differentiating an Inner Product

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the product rule for inner products, with the speaker attempting to exploit the bilinear property in order to differentiate a function using the properties of linearity and symmetry. The conversation also explores different methods of differentiating using similar techniques as the proof for "ordinary" functions.
Parmenides
I am attempting to work my way through the product rule for inner products, using the properties of linearity and symmetry. I am wondering if the following step is allowed, exploiting the bilinear property:
[tex]f(t) = \left\langle{\alpha}(t),{\beta}(t)\right\rangle \rightarrow f'(t) = \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{1}{h}[\left\langle{\alpha}(t + h),{\beta}(t + h)\right\rangle - \left\langle{\alpha}(t),{\beta}(t)\right\rangle][/tex]
If so, I think I can proceed using similar tricks from the proof of the product rule for "ordinary" functions . If not, I am lost on how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Parmenides said:
I am attempting to work my way through the product rule for inner products, using the properties of linearity and symmetry. I am wondering if the following step is allowed, exploiting the bilinear property:
[tex]f(t) = \left\langle{\alpha}(t),{\beta}(t)\right\rangle \rightarrow f'(t) = \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{1}{h}[\left\langle{\alpha}(t + h),{\beta}(t + h)\right\rangle - \left\langle{\alpha}(t),{\beta}(t)\right\rangle][/tex]
If so, I think I can proceed using similar tricks from the proof of the product rule for "ordinary" functions . If not, I am lost on how to proceed.

Where are you using the bilinear property?

Hey Parmenides.

If you are differentiating, it has to be with respect to some linear direction which means that it must be aligned either with some principal axis, or against some tangent vector which is what a directional derivative is.

Can you tell us which of these things is the thing that are differentiating with respect to?

chiro said:
Hey Parmenides.

If you are differentiating, it has to be with respect to some linear direction which means that it must be aligned either with some principal axis, or against some tangent vector which is what a directional derivative is.

Can you tell us which of these things is the thing that are differentiating with respect to?

He has a function ##f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## though. So it's just the ordinary derivative.

Parmenides said:
You haven't actually taken a step yet. This is just the definition of the derivative:
$$f'(t) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{h} [f(t+h) - f(t)]$$
where you have substituted the defining expression for ##f##. As such, what you have written is correct by definition.

So what is your next step?

{α(t+h),β(t+h)}-{α(t),β(t)} = {α(t+h),β(t+h)}-{α(t+h),β(t)}+{α(t+h),β(t)}-{α(t),β(t)}.

When you are finished you will have {α(t),β'(t)}+{α'(t),β(t)}

You haven't actually taken a step yet. This is just the definition of the derivative.
Hi, jbunniii. I suppose I should have also directed a question to pwsnafu in the sense that I don't see how getting to the expression [tex]f(t) = \left\langle{\alpha}(t),{\beta}(t)\right\rangle \rightarrow f'(t) = \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{1}{h}[\left\langle{\alpha}(t + h),{\beta}(t + h)\right\rangle - \left\langle{\alpha}(t),{\beta}(t)\right\rangle][/tex] is valid in the first place, which is why I was wondering if I could do so. To explain, I know that ##f'(t) = \frac{d}{dt}{f(t)}## so I take ##\frac{d}{dt}## as my linear operator on my inner product ##\left\langle\alpha(t),\beta(t)\right\rangle##. But to arrive at the expression for the derivative above with the inner product seems to imply that I'm using some sort of property like:
[tex]{a}\left\langle\alpha(t),\beta(t)\right\rangle = \left\langle{a}\alpha(t),{a}\beta(t)\right\rangle[/tex]
where ##a## is some linear operator. This is why I brought up exploiting bilinearity (which was more of a question than a statement--sorry, pwsnafu!) to wonder how I could justify my starting point. I've tried to go about it differently, such as:
[tex]f'(t) = {\frac{d}{dt}}\left\langle\alpha(t),\beta(t)\right\rangle = \left\langle{\frac{d}{dt}}\alpha(t),\beta(t)\right\rangle = \left\langle{\frac{d}{dt}}\beta(t),\alpha(t)\right\rangle[/tex]
By using linearity in the first variable and symmetry. But this gets me into trouble because in the process of manipulating this, I end up with a zero on the far right side which I don't know how to deal with. I suppose I'm just wondering why my original expression is valid in the first place.

Parmenides said:
Hi, jbunniii. I suppose I should have also directed a question to pwsnafu in the sense that I don't see how getting to the expression [tex]f(t) = \left\langle{\alpha}(t),{\beta}(t)\right\rangle \rightarrow f'(t) = \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{1}{h}[\left\langle{\alpha}(t + h),{\beta}(t + h)\right\rangle - \left\langle{\alpha}(t),{\beta}(t)\right\rangle][/tex] is valid in the first place, which is why I was wondering if I could do so.
The definition of the derivative of a function ##f## at ##t## is
$$f'(t) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{h} [f(t+h) - f(t)]$$
You have
$$f(t) = \langle \alpha(t), \beta(t) \rangle$$
so evaluating ##f## at ##t+h## we get
$$f(t+h) = \langle \alpha(t+h), \beta(t+h)\rangle$$
Now substituting these into the above expression, we get
$$f'(t) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{h} [\langle \alpha(t+h), \beta(t+h)\rangle - \langle \alpha(t), \beta(t) \rangle]$$
To get this far, we have simply used definitions, but not any properties of the inner product.

The next step indicated by mathman also doesn't require any properties of the inner product: simply add and subtract ##\langle \alpha(t+h), \beta(t) \rangle## to the right hand side to obtain
$$f'(t) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{h} [\langle \alpha(t+h), \beta(t+h)\rangle - \langle \alpha(t+h), \beta(t) \rangle + \langle \alpha(t+h), \beta(t) \rangle - \langle \alpha(t), \beta(t) \rangle]$$
To proceed from here, you will have to start using properties of the inner product.

Ah! Over-thinking, I suppose. Thank you.

Related to Differentiating an Inner Product

1. What is an inner product?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a scalar value as output. It is commonly used in linear algebra and functional analysis to measure the angle between two vectors or to define the notion of length and distance in vector spaces.

2. How is an inner product different from a dot product?

An inner product is a more general concept than a dot product. A dot product only exists in Euclidean spaces and is defined as the sum of the products of the corresponding components of two vectors. An inner product, on the other hand, can be defined in any vector space and does not necessarily involve multiplication of vector components.

3. What are the properties of an inner product?

An inner product is a bilinear, symmetric, and positive definite operation. This means that it is linear in each of its inputs, the order of the inputs does not matter, and the result is always a positive value. An inner product also satisfies the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, which states that the absolute value of the inner product of two vectors is less than or equal to the product of their lengths.

4. How is an inner product used in real-world applications?

An inner product has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to calculate work done by a force, to find the angle between two vectors in a magnetic field, to compute the similarity between two images or texts, and to perform dimensionality reduction in machine learning algorithms.

5. Can an inner product be generalized to other mathematical structures?

Yes, an inner product can be extended to other mathematical structures such as matrices, tensors, and even abstract algebraic structures. However, the properties and definitions of an inner product may vary depending on the mathematical structure it is being applied to.