Differentiating a fourier series

In summary: However, I cannot be certain that this is what the question is referring to since I do not have the context of the question.
Dustinsfl
What are rules for differentiating a Fourier series?

For example, given
$$
f = \frac{4}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(2n-1)\theta}{2n-1} = \begin{cases} 1, & 0 < \theta < \pi\\
0, & \theta = 0, \pm\pi\\
-1, & -\pi < \theta < 0
\end{cases}
$$

Can this be differentiating term wise? If so, what conditions must be met?

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to differentiate a Fourier sine series,

$f(\theta)$ is piecewise smooth on $[0,\pi]$$f(\theta)$ is piecewise continuous on $[0,\pi]$.$f(0) = f(\pi)$

All three are met.

$$
\frac{4}{\pi}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\cos(2n-1)\theta
$$

Is this right?

dwsmith said:
What are rules for differentiating a Fourier series?

For example, given
$$
f = \frac{4}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(2n-1)\theta}{2n-1} = \begin{cases} 1, & 0 < \theta < \pi\\
-1, & -\pi < \theta < 0
\end{cases}
$$

Can this be differentiating term wise? If so, what conditions must be met?

Hi dwsmith, :)

Refer the following links to find the criteria that must be met in order for the derivative/integral of a Fourier series to be equal to the derivative/integral of the associated function.

http://www.aerostudents.com/files/partialDifferentialEquations/fourierSeries.pdf

Pauls Online Notes : Differential Equations - Convergence of Fourier Series

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:
Hi dwsmith, :)

Refer the following links to find the criteria that must be met in order for the derivative/integral of a Fourier series to be equal to the derivative/integral of the associated function.

http://www.aerostudents.com/files/partialDifferentialEquations/fourierSeries.pdf

Pauls Online Notes : Differential Equations - Convergence of Fourier Series

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

I did. The derivative should be 0 but when theta is 0 the series is 4/Pi. What is wrong?

And I am lost on this part too.

Does the Fourier series in part (b) converge for any value of $\theta$ other than $\theta = \pm\frac{\pi}{2}$?
$$
f'(\theta) = \frac{4}{\pi}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\cos(2n - 1)\theta = \frac{2}{\pi}\text{Re}\left(\exp\left[i(2n - 1)\theta\right]\right)
$$

dwsmith said:
I did. The derivative should be 0 but when theta is 0 the series is 4/Pi. What is wrong?

And I am lost on this part too.

Does the Fourier series in part (b) converge for any value of $\theta$ other than $\theta = \pm\frac{\pi}{2}$?
$$
f'(\theta) = \frac{4}{\pi}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\cos(2n - 1)\theta = \frac{2}{\pi}\text{Re}\left(\exp\left[i(2n - 1)\theta\right]\right)
$$

The function \(f\) is not continuous at \(x=0\). Therefore the derivative series converges to \(f'\) only in the intervals, \((-\pi,0)\mbox{ and }(0,\pi)\).

What do you mean by "part (b)" ?

Last edited:
Sudharaka said:
The function \(f\) is not continuous at \(x=0\). Therefore the derivative series is only valid in the intervals, \((-\pi,0)\mbox{ and }(0,\pi)\).

What do you mean by "part (b)" ?

Part b is the derivative series.

dwsmith said:
In order to differentiate a Fourier sine series,

$f(\theta)$ is piecewise smooth on $[0,\pi]$$f(\theta)$ is piecewise continuous on $[0,\pi]$.$f(0) = f(\pi)$

All three are met.

$$
\frac{4}{\pi}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\cos(2n-1)\theta
$$

Is this right?

Sorry for the confusion, but I think I had overlooked something here. Note that the second condition should read, "$f(\theta)$ is continuous on $[0,\pi]$". Refer http://www.aerostudents.com/files/partialDifferentialEquations/fourierSeries.pdf. This is not satisfied by \(f\) and hence it is not differentiable term by term.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:
Sorry for the confusion, but I think I had overlooked something here. Note that the second condition should read, "$f(\theta)$ is continuous on $[0,\pi]$". Refer http://www.aerostudents.com/files/partialDifferentialEquations/fourierSeries.pdf. This is not satisfied by \(f\) and hence it is not differentiable term by term.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Since there is no Fourier series, it doesn't converge for theta = 0?

dwsmith said:
Since there is no Fourier series, it doesn't converge for theta = 0?

The Fourier series of \(f\) is,

\[f(\theta) = \frac{4}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(2n-1)\theta}{2n-1} = \begin{cases} 1, & 0 < \theta < \pi\\
-1, & -\pi < \theta < 0
\end{cases}\]

You cannot differentiate this series term by term to obtain the Fourier series of \(f'\) since the function \(f\) is not right/left continuous at the endpoints of \([-\pi,\pi]\). Does this clarify things for you?

Sudharaka said:
The Fourier series of \(f\) is,

\[f(\theta) = \frac{4}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(2n-1)\theta}{2n-1} = \begin{cases} 1, & 0 < \theta < \pi\\
-1, & -\pi < \theta < 0
\end{cases}\]

You cannot differentiate this series term by term to obtain the Fourier series of \(f'\) since the function \(f\) is not right/left continuous at the endpoints of \([-\pi,\pi]\). Does this clarify things for you?

No. The question ask if the derivative series converges when theta is 0. Since there is no derivative series, the series doesn't converge when theta is zero, correct?

dwsmith said:
No. The question ask if the derivative series converges when theta is 0. Since there is no derivative series, the series doesn't converge when theta is zero, correct?

It is possible that in the question the term "derivative series" means the series,

\[\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\cos(2n-1)\theta\]

This series diverges at \(\theta=0\).

Related to Differentiating a fourier series

What is a Fourier series and why is it important?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is important because it allows us to approximate complex functions with simpler trigonometric functions, making calculations and analysis easier.

How do you differentiate a Fourier series?

To differentiate a Fourier series, you can use the linearity property of derivatives and differentiate each term in the series separately. This will result in a new Fourier series with different coefficients.

What is the purpose of differentiating a Fourier series?

Differentiating a Fourier series allows us to find the derivative of a periodic function without having to directly differentiate the original function. This can be useful in solving differential equations and studying the behavior of periodic functions.

Is it possible to differentiate a Fourier series multiple times?

Yes, it is possible to differentiate a Fourier series multiple times. Each time you differentiate, the resulting series will have different coefficients and represent the derivative of the original function.

Are there any limitations to differentiating a Fourier series?

One limitation is that the Fourier series must represent a continuous and piecewise smooth function in order for the differentiation process to be valid. Also, the series may not converge for certain values, making differentiation impossible.