Differential Pulse Height Spectrum

In summary, the conversation is about a lab write-up involving a single channel analyser and finding a suitable operating voltage gain. The speaker has also changed the Baseline-E, plotted the number of counts, and is now trying to deduce the differential pulse height spectrum from the graph. They are seeking help from experts in nuclear engineering and asking for the conversation to be moved to that topic.
lachy
Hi there,
So I am doing this lab write-up at the moment with a single channel analyser. The following diagram pretty much sums up the setup:

f51yzo.jpg

So pretty much I have found a suitable operating voltage gain by recording number of counts vs. gain and now I must change the Baseline-E (assumedly the centre of the "window" of energies analysed) and plot the number of counts. So I have got the following plot:

mvj12s.jpg

I must deduce the differential pulse height spectrum from this graph. I haven't really been introduced to this concept but have done a bit of reading, but generally most of the graphs I see use the multichannel analyser.

Could anyone help me out and desribe how I can find the DPHS from this plot?

Thank you very much.

-Lachy

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can get this moved to NUCLEAR ENGINEERING where some experts are more likely to se it??

Related to Differential Pulse Height Spectrum

What is a Differential Pulse Height Spectrum?

A Differential Pulse Height Spectrum (DPHS) is a graph that shows the number of pulses of different heights produced by a detector in response to a series of radioactive events. It is commonly used in nuclear physics experiments to analyze the energy of particles emitted from radioactive materials.

How is a Differential Pulse Height Spectrum obtained?

A DPHS is obtained by counting the number of pulses of different heights produced by a detector and plotting them as a function of pulse height. This is usually done using specialized software or hardware that can analyze the electrical signals produced by the detector.

What information can be obtained from a Differential Pulse Height Spectrum?

A DPHS can provide information about the type and energy of the particles emitted from a radioactive source, as well as the efficiency and resolution of the detector. It can also be used to identify the presence of multiple radioactive isotopes and to study their decay properties.

How is a Differential Pulse Height Spectrum used in data analysis?

In data analysis, a DPHS is often used to identify and remove background noise from a data set, allowing for a more accurate measurement of the energies of particles emitted from a radioactive source. It can also be used to compare experimental data to theoretical predictions and to study the effects of various experimental parameters on the detected pulse heights.

What are some limitations of using a Differential Pulse Height Spectrum?

One limitation of using a DPHS is that it requires specialized equipment and software, which may not be readily available or affordable for all researchers. Additionally, the accuracy and resolution of the spectrum may be affected by factors such as the type of detector used and the energy of the particles being detected.