Differential Homework Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the possible phase lines, classifying equilibrium points, and determining the general solution for a=2 in two different systems. The suggested approach is to diagonalize the matrix A and use the rotation matrix formed by the eigenvectors to express the solution in the form of integral paths in the phase plane. The final solution may differ depending on whether A is similar to a diagonal matrix or a Jordan block.
MrBioMedic
Hello everyone - I have a couple questions about some homework problems that I am hoping I can get some help with - Here they are and thank you for the help in advance.

for the system dY / dt = | a 1 | (2 by 2 matrix)
----------------------- | 0 -1 |

and the system dY / dt = | a 1 |
------------------------- | -1 2 |

I need to figure out the following:
a. possible phase lines for each as a varies.
b. classify the equilbrium points
c. the general solution for a=2

Thank you again for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the problem

[tex]\frac{d \vec{y}}{dt}=\bold{A}\vec{y}[/tex]

where [itex]\bold{A}[/itex] is a matrix of constant coefficients, you know that the general solution for the system is
[tex]\vec{y}(t)=\vec{y_{0}}e^{\bold{A}t}[/tex]

so, here is the canonical way to go...

diagonalize [itex]\bold{A}[/itex]. You will get your solution to be in the form*
[tex]\vec{z}(t)=\left(\begin{array}{cc}z_{01}e^{\lambda_{1}t}\\z_{02}e^{\lambda_{2}t}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Where [itex]\vec{y}=\bold{P}\vec{z}[/itex] and [itex]P[/itex] is the rotation matrix formed by the eigenvectors of [itex]\bold{A}[/tex], and [itex]\lambda_{1},\lambda_{2}[/itex] are the eigenvalues.

So now you can express [itex]y=y(x,\lambda_{1},\lambda_{2})[/itex] and see the form of the integral paths in the phase plane.

Now, the equilibrium points will be classified by these integral curves. The direction of the paths in this points is given by the eigenvectors.

* This will be the form of the solution only when [itex]\bold{A}[/itex] is similar to a diagonal matrix. If not, the matrix will be similar to a Jordan block, and your solution will change (for further reference check almost any ode book), and i think you will have to do that case also.

PS. sorry for bad english.

TO MODS. The Spellcheck should skip text between [tex] tags... that would be nice.. just an idea :smile:

Last edited:

Hi there! I'd be happy to help with your differential homework questions. Let's take a look at each of the problems and break down how to approach them.

For the first system, we have the equation dY / dt = | a 1 | (2 by 2 matrix)
----------------------- | 0 -1 |
To determine the possible phase lines for each value of a, we can use the eigenvalues of the matrix. The eigenvalues of a 2 by 2 matrix are given by the formula λ = (a - d) ± √((a - d)² + 4bc) / 2, where a, b, c, and d are the values in the matrix. In this case, we have a = a, b = 1, c = 0, and d = -1.

For the first system, we have a phase line that looks like this:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For the second system, we have the equation dY / dt = | a 1 | (2 by 2 matrix)
----------------------- | -1 2 |
Using the same formula, we can find the eigenvalues to be λ = (a - d) ± √((a - d)² + 4bc) / 2. In this case, we have a = a, b = 1, c = -1, and d = 2.

For the second system, we have a phase line that looks like this:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Related to Differential Homework Questions

What is the purpose of differential homework questions?

The purpose of differential homework questions is to assess a student's understanding of the principles and concepts of differential equations and their applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. These questions involve solving differential equations and interpreting the solutions in real-world scenarios.

What topics are typically covered in differential homework questions?

Topics covered in differential homework questions include first-order and higher-order differential equations, separable and exact equations, linear and non-linear equations, and applications such as growth and decay, motion, and circuits.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for differential homework questions?

To improve problem-solving skills for differential homework questions, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and principles of differential equations. Practice solving a variety of problems and seek help from teachers or classmates when needed. It may also be helpful to refer to textbooks or online resources for additional practice.

Are there any common mistakes students make when solving differential homework questions?

Some common mistakes students make when solving differential homework questions include incorrect use of formulas and forgetting to include initial conditions or boundary conditions in the solution. It is important to carefully read the question and double-check the solution for accuracy.

What resources are available for students struggling with differential homework questions?

There are many resources available for students struggling with differential homework questions. These include online tutorials, study guides, practice problems, and tutoring services. It is also helpful to attend office hours or seek help from a teacher or classmate for clarification on difficult concepts.