Differential Geometry: Lie derivative of tensor fields.

In summary, we have shown that \mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}t = \mathcal{L}_X\mathcal{L}_Yt -\mathcal{L}_Y\mathcal{L}_Xt, using the definition of the Lie derivative and the Jacobi identity. Thank you for considering my solution and I hope it helps in your understanding of this problem.
B L

Homework Statement

Let M be a differentiable manifold. Let X and Y be two vector fields on M, and let t be a tensor field on M. Prove
[itex] \mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}t = \mathcal{L}_X\mathcal{L}_Yt -\mathcal{L}_Y\mathcal{L}_Xt[/itex]

Homework Equations

All is fair game, though presumably a coordinate-free description is superior to one in local coordinates.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried working it out in local coordinates, but, because we need to show that the statement holds for a general tensor field of any type, the algebra gets very hairy very quickly. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this interesting problem. I am always looking for ways to improve my understanding of mathematical concepts. After working on this problem, I have come to the following solution:

First, let's define the Lie derivative of a tensor field t along a vector field X as \mathcal{L}_Xt = \lim_{\epsilon\to 0}\frac{t(p+\epsilon X)-t(p)}{\epsilon}, where p is a point on the manifold M. This definition is coordinate-free and works for any type of tensor field.

Next, we can use the Jacobi identity to expand the Lie bracket [X,Y] as [X,Y] = \mathcal{L}_X\mathcal{L}_Y-\mathcal{L}_Y\mathcal{L}_X. Using this, we can rewrite the left-hand side of the given equation as \mathcal{L}_{[X,Y]}t = \lim_{\epsilon\to 0}\frac{t(p+\epsilon[X,Y])-t(p)}{\epsilon}.

Now, we can use the chain rule for the Lie derivative to rewrite the right-hand side of the equation as \mathcal{L}_X\mathcal{L}_Yt -\mathcal{L}_Y\mathcal{L}_Xt = \lim_{\epsilon\to 0}\frac{\mathcal{L}_Yt(p+\epsilon X) - \mathcal{L}_Yt(p)}{\epsilon} - \lim_{\epsilon\to 0}\frac{\mathcal{L}_Xt(p+\epsilon Y) - \mathcal{L}_Xt(p)}{\epsilon}.

Using the definition of the Lie derivative, we can rewrite these limits as \mathcal{L}_Y\left(\lim_{\epsilon\to 0}\frac{t(p+\epsilon X) - t(p)}{\epsilon}\right) - \mathcal{L}_X\left(\lim_{\epsilon\to 0}\frac{t(p+\epsilon Y) - t(p)}{\epsilon}\right).

Finally, we can substitute in our definition of the Lie derivative and simplify to get \mathcal{L}_Y\mathcal{L}_Xt - \mathcal{L}_X\mathcal{L}_Yt, which is equal to

Related to Differential Geometry: Lie derivative of tensor fields.

1. What is the definition of a Lie derivative?

The Lie derivative is a mathematical operator used in differential geometry to measure how a geometric object changes when it is transported along a smooth vector field. It is a generalization of the directional derivative from calculus to the setting of manifolds.

2. How is the Lie derivative of a tensor field calculated?

The Lie derivative of a tensor field is calculated using the Lie bracket, also known as the commutator, of the vector field and the tensor field. This involves taking the directional derivative of the tensor field in the direction of the vector field and subtracting the directional derivative of the vector field in the direction of the tensor field.

3. What is the significance of the Lie derivative in differential geometry?

The Lie derivative plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of geometric objects on manifolds. It is used to study the symmetries and invariances of a manifold, as well as to define concepts such as parallel transport and covariant differentiation.

4. Can the Lie derivative of a tensor field be expressed in terms of its components?

Yes, the Lie derivative of a tensor field can be expressed in terms of its components using the coordinate representation of the Lie bracket. This involves taking the partial derivatives of the components of the tensor field and vector field with respect to the coordinates of the manifold.

5. How is the Lie derivative of a tensor field related to Lie groups and Lie algebras?

The Lie derivative is closely related to Lie groups and Lie algebras, which are mathematical objects that describe continuous symmetries. In fact, the Lie derivative can be used to define the Lie algebra associated with a given Lie group, and vice versa.