Differential equations particle motion

In summary, the conversation is about a physics undergraduate student seeking help with finding x(t) from given information of F(v) = -bV2. The student presents their attempt at a solution, which involves integrating and finding the initial velocity to be zero. However, after receiving advice to add a constant and taking into account the initial velocity, the student's final equation becomes x(t) = m/b*ln(bt/m + 1/vo) - m/b*ln(1/vo). The conversation continues with the student questioning if this solution is correct and receiving further guidance.
philnow

Homework Statement

Hey all. I have F(v) and I'm looking for x(t).

F(v) = -bV2

I'm a physics undergrad student who hasn't done diff. equations in a while, so I'm very unsure of my work so far... but here it is.

The Attempt at a Solution

I write F=ma as F(v)=mdv/dt:

-bV2=mdv/dt

-m∫ dv/v2 = -b ∫dt

-m/v = -bt
m/v = bt

v = m/bt = dx/dt

∫ dx = m/b ∫ dt/t

Finally x(t) = m/b*ln(t)

Does this look good?

Physics news on Phys.org
philnow said:

Homework Statement

Hey all. I have F(v) and I'm looking for x(t).

F(v) = -bV2

I'm a physics undergrad student who hasn't done diff. equations in a while, so I'm very unsure of my work so far... but here it is.

The Attempt at a Solution

I write F=ma as F(v)=mdv/dt:

-bV2=mdv/dt

-m∫ dv/v2 = -b ∫dt

-m/v = -bt
m/v = bt +constant

don't forget the constant.

Otherwise it looks alright. Also remember that ma can be written as mv dv/dx as well

I forgot to add that the initial position and initial velocity are both zero so I don't need to worry about constants. Thanks!

Are you sure the initial velocity is zero?

philnow said:
Finally x(t) = m/b*ln(t)

Differentiate that expression. Do you get dx/dt=0 at t=0?

I misinformed you all, the particle has an initial velocity Vo. My bad. Even still I see that if I put 0 for t in my equation, it is undefined, when it should be zero.

I don't really know how to take it from here, any hints? How do I take into account the constant?

philnow said:
-m∫ dv/v2 = -b ∫dt

-m/v = -bt
This is where things go awry, since the equation is contradictory to v=v0 when t=0.

rock.freak667 said:
don't forget the constant.
Yes, exactly. When you integrate, add a constant. What constant will give v=v0 when t=0?

How does this seem?

x(t) = m/b*ln(t) + Vo*t

Unfortunately, that does not give x(0)=0, due to the ln(t) term.

Also, the initial velocity appears to be infinite, again due to the ln(t) term.

If you show your work, we can help figure out what went wrong.

Here's my work:

-bV2=mdv/dt

-m∫ dv/v2 = -b ∫dt

(note: so the integral of 1/v^2 is -1/v, and this integral is from initial v to final v) so:

bt = m(1/v - 1/vo) where vo is initial velocity

bt/m = 1/v - 1/vo

m/bt + vo = v

m/bt + vo = dx/dt

∫(m/bt + vo)dt = ∫dx

m/b*ln(t) + vo*t = x(t)

philnow said:
Here's my work:

-bV2=mdv/dt

-m∫ dv/v2 = -b ∫dt

(note: so the integral of 1/v^2 is -1/v, and this integral is from initial v to final v) so:

bt = m(1/v - 1/vo) where vo is initial velocity

bt/m = 1/v - 1/vo
Okay so far.

m/bt + vo = v
This step does not follow from the previous one. (We can tell because t=0 implies v=∞, instead of v=vo, in this equation.)

Instead, this step could have been

(bt/m) + (1/vo) = 1/v​
See if you can take if from there.

(bt/m) + (1/vo) = 1/v

doesn't this mean v = m/bt + Vo?

philnow said:
(bt/m) + (1/vo) = 1/v

doesn't this mean v = m/bt + Vo?

No, what it means is that v is the reciprocal of

(bt/m) + (1/vo)​

which is

[tex]\frac{1}{(bt/m) + (1/v_o)}[/tex]

Redbelly98 said:
No, what it means is that v is the reciprocal of

(bt/m) + (1/vo)​

which is

[tex]\frac{1}{(bt/m) + (1/v_o)}[/tex]

Please tell me I've done this right:

from there:

∫dx = ∫https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/23/2356837-0.png

x = m/b*ln(bt/m + 1/vo) - m/b*ln(1/vo)

for t=0, x=0 and when differentiated, at t=0,v=vo

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Differential equations particle motion

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time, based on its current value and the rate of change at that point. It typically involves one or more derivatives, which represent the rate of change of the variable.

2. How are differential equations used in particle motion?

Differential equations are used to describe the motion of particles in terms of position, velocity, and acceleration. The equations of motion, such as Newton's laws, can be expressed as differential equations, allowing us to predict the behavior of a particle over time.

3. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, such as time, and one or more dependent variables. They describe the relationships between these variables and their derivatives. Partial differential equations, on the other hand, involve multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. They are used to describe systems that involve more complex relationships between variables.

4. How do initial conditions and boundary conditions affect the solution of a differential equation?

Initial conditions specify the values of the dependent variables at a specific starting point, while boundary conditions specify the behavior of the dependent variables at the boundaries of the system. These conditions are crucial in solving differential equations, as they help determine the specific solution that satisfies all of the given conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations in particle motion?

Differential equations are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology, to model and analyze the motion of particles. Some examples include predicting the trajectory of a projectile, understanding the behavior of fluids in motion, and studying the movement of molecules in a chemical reaction.