Differential Equations - not Linear, Separable, or Exact

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation and the difficulties in solving it. The equation is not linear, separable, or exact, and substitution did not work. The conversation also mentions using Mathematica to solve the equation, which returns a complicated implicit solution. The speaker suggests learning how to use Mathematica to help with math studies.
inveniam_viam
Problem and Equation: Solve dy/dx=-y/(x^2+y)

Put into standard form, this is ydx+(x^2+y)dy=0

The only ways of solving differential equations that I currently know are when they are either linear (which this is not), separable (this is also not), or exact (ditto), and I vaguely know about substitution but a little guidance on how to go about solving a problem like this would be greatly appreciated! I tried substituting V for the denominator (v=x^2+y) to try to get rid of the y but had no luck. Thanks very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any chance you made a mistake with that equation? The reason I ask is I tried this and that for a little while then in desperation, turned to Mathematica's DSolve and it returns a very complicated inverse function for it's solution.

I asked the professor about it and apparently it's just an equation he "thought of off the top of his head" to see if we could solve it, and then told us to do it for homework, lol. Do you have any clue how to go about getting to that "very complicated inverse function" for the solution?

Ok, I meant "it's in implicit form" and not really "inverse". Find a machine running Mathematica, better yet, spend this entire semester learning how to use Mathematica if you don't already, say one hour a week at least. Then type:

Code:
In[274]:=
DSolve[Derivative[1][y][x] == 
   -y[x]/(x^2 + y[x]), y, x]

And it returns:

Code:
During evaluation of In[274]:= Solve::tdep:The equations appear to involve the variables to be solved for in an essentially non-algebraic way. >>

During evaluation of In[274]:= Solve::tdep:The equations appear to involve the variables to be solved for in an essentially non-algebraic way. >>

Out[274]=
Solve[C[1] == 
   -((-2*x*BesselJ[0, 
        I*Sqrt[4*x^2 - 4*(x^2 + y[x])]] - 
      I*BesselJ[1, I*Sqrt[4*x^2 - 
           4*(x^2 + y[x])]]*
       Sqrt[4*x^2 - 4*(x^2 + y[x])])/
     (-2*x*BesselY[0, (-I)*
         Sqrt[4*x^2 - 4*(x^2 + y[x])]] + 
      I*BesselY[1, (-I)*Sqrt[4*x^2 - 
           4*(x^2 + y[x])]]*
       Sqrt[4*x^2 - 4*(x^2 + y[x])])), 
  y[x]]

That's essentially telling you that the solution it found is in implicit form, kinda like for example:

[tex]y^3+6x^2+2-2y=0[/tex]

and it's asking you to use "Solve" to solve for y[x].

But the implicit solution it found is too complicated to do symbolically else Mathematica would have done that. So take that expression and just say let that C[1] constant equal to 1 for starters. Then plot that implicit function using ContourPlot. That gives you a set of points which satisfy the relation. Now take those points and arrange them in the form of (x,y) pairs, then do a Fit on that data to arrive at an approximate representation of the solution.

See what I mean, spend time learning Mathematica. It will help you a great deal in your math studies.

Related to Differential Equations - not Linear, Separable, or Exact

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model change and are commonly used in science, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the difference between linear and nonlinear differential equations?

Linear differential equations have a linear relationship between the dependent variable and its derivatives, while nonlinear differential equations have a nonlinear relationship. This means that the dependent variable and its derivatives are raised to different powers or multiplied together in nonlinear equations.

3. What does it mean for a differential equation to be separable?

A separable differential equation is one that can be rewritten as the product of two functions, one involving only the dependent variable and the other involving only the independent variable. This makes it easier to solve the equation by integrating both sides separately.

4. What are exact differential equations?

An exact differential equation is one that can be expressed as the total differential of a function. This means that the equation can be solved by finding the antiderivative of both sides. Exact differential equations are a special case of separable equations.

5. How are differential equations used in real life?

Differential equations are used in various fields to model and predict real-life phenomena. For example, they are used in physics to describe the motion and behavior of objects, in biology to model population growth, and in economics to analyze market trends. They are also used in engineering to design and optimize systems and processes.