Differential Equations: Non-homogeneous Series Expansion

In summary, the conversation is about solving a non-homogeneous differential equation using series. The main question is about the placement of Cn coefficients in the equation. The solution is to take into account the powers of x on the other side for the recursion formulas. The speaker also mentions that series may not be the easiest method for this problem.
Bryon

Homework Statement

y'' + y' + y = 1 + x + x2

Homework Equations

y = Ʃ CN*xN N starts at 0
y' = Ʃ N*CN*x(N-1) N starts at 1
y'' = Ʃ N*(N-1)*CN*x(N-2) N starts at 2

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/]
I know how solve the equations using series when the equation would equal to 0. My main question about using series on a non-homogeneous differential equation is whether or not the varialbes on the right side have the Cx coefficients? Or would they be paired up with the x, x2, etc? I think I need some quick clarification on this.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bryon said:

Homework Statement

y'' + y' + y = 1 + x + x2

Homework Equations

y = Ʃ CN*xN N starts at 0
y' = Ʃ N*CN*x(N-1) N starts at 1
y'' = Ʃ N*(N-1)*CN*x(N-2) N starts at 2

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/]
I know how solve the equations using series when the equation would equal to 0. My main question about using series on a non-homogeneous differential equation is whether or not the varialbes on the right side have the Cx coefficients? Or would they be paired up with the x, x2, etc? I think I need some quick clarification on this.

Thanks!

The Cn's only appear in your expressions for y and its derivatives. But you must take the powers of x on the other side into account for your recursion formulas. I assume you know that series isn't the easiest way for this problem.

Thanks for clearing that up. The instructor covered only homogenous problems, and when I ran into one of these I was not entirely sure how to solve it with series.

Related to Differential Equations: Non-homogeneous Series Expansion

1. What is a non-homogeneous series expansion in differential equations?

A non-homogeneous series expansion is a method used to solve a type of differential equation where the equation includes a non-zero constant term. This term is known as the non-homogeneous or forcing term, and it can make the equation more difficult to solve compared to a homogeneous equation.

2. How is a non-homogeneous series expansion used to solve differential equations?

A non-homogeneous series expansion involves expanding the solution of the differential equation into a series of terms, where each term is a combination of different powers of the independent variable. The coefficients of these terms are then determined using a method such as undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. The final solution is a combination of the homogeneous solution (found without the non-homogeneous term) and the particular solution (found using the non-homogeneous term).

3. What are some examples of non-homogeneous differential equations?

Some examples of non-homogeneous differential equations include equations with constant coefficients, such as the simple harmonic oscillator equation or the heat equation. Non-homogeneous equations can also arise in applications such as electrical circuits, population growth models, and fluid mechanics.

4. Can a non-homogeneous series expansion be used for higher-order differential equations?

Yes, a non-homogeneous series expansion can be used for both first-order and higher-order differential equations. However, as the order of the equation increases, the complexity of the solution method also increases. In some cases, a computer algebra system may be needed to solve the equation using a non-homogeneous series expansion.

5. What are the limitations of using a non-homogeneous series expansion to solve differential equations?

A non-homogeneous series expansion may not always be a feasible method to solve a differential equation. It is typically only used for equations with constant coefficients and specific types of non-homogeneous terms. Additionally, the series may not converge for certain values of the independent variable, making the solution invalid. In these cases, other solution methods such as Laplace transforms or numerical methods may be more appropriate.