Differential Equations - Help with scaling / dimensionalizing

In summary, the conversation is about a homework assignment related to the conservation of energy in a fluid. The problem involves many variables, including density, specific heat, thermal conductivity, bulk viscosity, dissipation function, velocity function, spatial derivatives, and partial derivatives. The main focus is on dimensionalization and finding dimensionless parameters according to the pi theorem. The tilde symbol is used to denote dimensional variables. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of converting a function, such as temperature, into dimensions and the confusion surrounding the calculation of dimensionless parameters. Help is requested in understanding this complex problem.
tomgill
Hi all,

I have a homework assignment related to the conservation of energy in a fluid.
This is given in terms of the density [itex]ρ[/itex], specific heat [itex]c_{p}[/itex], thermal conductivity [itex]k[/itex], bulk viscosity [itex]μ[/itex], dissipation function [itex]\widetilde{\phi}_{v}[/itex], velocity function [itex]\widetilde{u}[/itex], spatial derivative of the Temperature function (respect to [itex]L[/itex]) [itex]\widetilde{∇}\widetilde{T}[/itex], second spatial derivative with respect to [itex]L, \widetilde{∇}^{2}\widetilde{T} [/itex], and partial derivative of the temperature function [itex]\frac{∂\widetilde{T}}{∂\widetilde{t}}[/itex]. [itex]T[/itex] is temp, [itex]t[/itex] is time, [itex]U[/itex] is velocity, mass is [itex]M[/itex], length is [itex]L[/itex].

All of the tilde's are supposed to be on top of that preceding variable, I am sorry if this is way too confusing, tried my best..

That's a lot of variables, but it is OK.

The basic part of this problem is to dimensionalize the problem and find the dimensionless parameters according to the pi theorem.

It looks something like this [itex]ρc_{p}(\frac{∂\widetilde{T}}{∂\widetilde{t}} + \widetilde{u}\bullet\widetilde{∇}\widetilde{T}) = k\widetilde{∇}^{2}\widetilde{T} + μ\widetilde{\phi}_{v}[/itex]

I know the units for the basic nonfunctional variables like [itex]ρ[/itex] and [itex]c_{p}[/itex].
My issue is with the functions. My instructor said that, for example [itex]\widetilde{\phi}_{v} = \frac{U^{2}\phi_{v}}{L^{2}}[/itex], where [itex]\phi_{v} [/itex]is the value and not the function.

I can figure out all of the terms' dimensions and come out OK.

But, how would I convert something like [itex]\widetilde{T}[/itex] (temperature function) into dimensions? Would that be as simple as just [itex]\frac{T}{t}[/itex]? So the partial [itex]\frac{∂\widetilde{T}}{∂\widetilde{t}}[/itex] is dimensionalized as [itex]\frac{T}{t}[/itex]?
Or am I missing something here that turns the function into a different set of terms when given initial temp [itex]T_{0}[/itex]?

I am given initial temperature [itex]T_{0}[/itex], velocity [itex]U[/itex], and length [itex]L[/itex].

When I find the dimensionless parameters, I am calculating that [itex]α_{1}[/itex], for example is something with insane powers like [itex]ρc_{p}^{6}\widetilde{u}^{{-14}}k(\frac{\widetilde{∂T}}{\widetilde{∂t}})^{5}[/itex]

This just seems completely wrong, we go from nothing more than 3rd powers at the most to all of the sudden -14 powers?

Thx in advance. I don't need direct answers but help is appreciated!

EDIT: if it helps, I am fine with the math side of this, but I took Physics C Mechanics in high school, that was it and we never even came close to problems of this complexity. I have to get used to this physics mumbo jumbo.

Okay I made this into LaTeX, which I had forgotten. Hopefully I can get an answer now!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show a bit of your work... So for example, what are the units of [itex] \mu [/itex] and [itex]\phi_v [/itex]? What do the tildes mean?

Related to Differential Equations - Help with scaling / dimensionalizing

What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model dynamic systems and are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

Why is scaling important in differential equations?

Scaling is important in differential equations because it allows us to analyze and compare different systems that may have different units or scales. By scaling the variables and parameters in a differential equation, we can simplify the equation and make it easier to solve and interpret.

How do you scale a differential equation?

To scale a differential equation, you need to identify the variables and parameters in the equation and determine their units and scales. Then, you can use a scaling factor to adjust the equation so that all the terms have the same units and scales. This can be done by multiplying or dividing the equation by appropriate factors.

What is dimensional analysis in differential equations?

Dimensional analysis is a method used to check the correctness of a differential equation by examining the units and dimensions of each term in the equation. This can help identify errors or inconsistencies in the equation and ensure that it accurately represents the physical system being modeled.

Can you provide an example of scaling and dimensionalizing a differential equation?

Yes, for example, consider the differential equation dN/dt = rN(1-N/K), which models population growth. To scale this equation, we can divide both sides by K and define a new variable x = N/K. This results in the scaled equation dx/dt = rx(1-x), where x represents the proportion of the carrying capacity that is currently occupied by the population. This scaled equation is easier to analyze and interpret than the original equation, and its solution can be translated back to the original variables of N and t.