Differential equations: applying force to projectile

In summary, this system of equations represents a projectile's path when solved, but when trying to apply a force to it, it became difficult to understand and resulted in a different solution. The signs in the thetadot equation must be correct, and the magnitude may also need to be corrected.
gnumoe

Homework Statement

The following series of differential equations represents a projectile's path when solved (g=9.81):
nANP9I9.png

Modify this series of differential equations to account for an additional force F with vector components a and b acting on the projectile.

Here is a sample plot of this system:
TeUvVr2.png

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Knowing that gravity is a force with a positive i-component and negative j-component, I attempted to apply the same logic to F. This resulted in:

vdot = -g*sin(theta) + a*cos(theta) + b*sin(theta)
and
thetadot = -g/v*cos(theta) + a/v*sin(theta) + b/v*cos(theta)

However, that solution didn't appear to be correct, as when I plotted this out with F with a positive i-component and a negative j-component, I got this plot:
ovgeY6g.png

From intuition, the positive i-component should have caused the projectile path to move to the right more (hard to describe in words, but I hope you get what I mean), but instead, with my system (somehow), the projectile somehow happens to move to the left and go to the negative x-axis. Because my attempt to apply how gravity was represented in this system to how an arbitrary force would be represented, well, failed, I am currently stuck.

As this is my first post, I'm not sure whether it belongs in the introductory or advanced section (as it involves differential equations, but is a simple system). Sorry in advance if it's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the signs in your thetadot equation.

Likes gnumoe
haruspex said:
Check the signs in your thetadot equation.
Flipping the sign of the second term appears to make it be more reasonable, and I understand why that makes sense from a directional perspective. However, I'm unsure if the actual magnitude is correct, if you get what I'm saying...

Here's what it looks like with a flipped second term:
BQrw8pV.png

It's more reasonable, but I don't understand it from a trigonometry perspective. In addition, if that's the case, shouldn't I also flip the sign in the vdot equation? If not, why?

Last edited:
gnumoe said:
Flipping the sign of the second term appears to make it be more reasonable, and I understand why that makes sense from a directional perspective. However, I'm unsure if the actual magnitude is correct, if you get what I'm saying...

Here's what it looks like with a flipped second term:
BQrw8pV.png

It's more reasonable, but I don't understand it from a trigonometry perspective. In addition, if that's the case, shouldn't I also flip the sign in the vdot equation? If not, why?
Patterns like
+sin +cos
-cos +sin
arise frequently, since as a matrix it represents a rotation.
While moving up and to the right, v is in the first quadrant but ##\dot \theta## is in the second quadrant, so a force horizontally to the right is positive for ##\dot v## but negative for ##\ddot \theta##.

Likes gnumoe

Related to Differential equations: applying force to projectile

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to model and describe various physical phenomena, including projectile motion.

How are forces applied to a projectile?

Forces can be applied to a projectile in various ways, such as through gravity, air resistance, or propulsion. These forces can be represented as differential equations in terms of the projectile's position, velocity, and acceleration.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity. It can be described using differential equations, taking into account the forces acting on the object.

How do differential equations help in understanding projectile motion?

Differential equations provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of projectile motion. By solving these equations, we can determine the trajectory, velocity, and acceleration of a projectile at any given time.

What are some real-world applications of differential equations in projectile motion?

Differential equations are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in designing and optimizing the trajectory of space rockets, studying the motion of objects in sports like baseball and golf, and predicting the path of a thrown object in a game of cornhole.