Differential equations and escape velocities

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a bullet fired straight up, with a focus on using differential equations. The acceleration due to gravity is not constant, and the problem can be modeled using a first-order differential equation. The conversation also mentions using conservation of energy as an alternative solution method.
BrettJimison

Homework Statement

Good day all! I'm stumped on a question:

If I fire a bullet straight up what will be the initial velocity such that the bullet doesn't come back down?
I need to model a differential equation (it will be first order) some how!
Also, Gravity is not constant, but rather, the acceleration due to gravity dv/dt is -k/r^2 where k is a positive constant and r is the distance to the center of the Earth (4000 mi)

Homework Equations

Also, dv/dt=(dv/dr)v

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher said something about at the point where the initial velocity is great enough to over come gravity, the root in the de will become complex. That's all I know. Any help would be appreciated!
So far I know:

m(dv/dt)=-mg and g=-k/r^2
I can find a de for v(r) easily since the eqn is seperable, but I'm not sure what to do with it...
Also, the problem gives g at the surface of Earth as -32 ft/s^2, and r in miles, so unfortunately we aren't using metric here.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I believe we are ignoring air resistance of the bullet since it is not mentioned in the statement.

BrettJimison said:

Homework Statement

Good day all! I'm stumped on a question:

If I fire a bullet straight up what will be the initial velocity such that the bullet doesn't come back down?
I need to model a differential equation (it will be first order) some how!
Also, Gravity is not constant, but rather, the acceleration due to gravity dv/dt is -k/r^2 where k is a positive constant and r is the distance to the center of the Earth (4000 mi)

Homework Equations

Also, dv/dt=(dv/dr)v

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher said something about at the point where the initial velocity is great enough to over come gravity, the root in the de will become complex. That's all I know. Any help would be appreciated!
So far I know:

m(dv/dt)=-mg and g=-k/r^2
I can find a de for v(r) easily since the eqn is seperable, but I'm not sure what to do with it...
Also, the problem gives g at the surface of Earth as -32 ft/s^2, and r in miles, so unfortunately we aren't using metric here.

Thanks!

Solving the DE is doing it the hard way; using conservation of energy is doing it the easy way.

Ray Vickson said:
Solving the DE is doing it the hard way; using conservation of energy is doing it the easy way.
Yes, my first instinct is to use energy. Unfortunately, this is for a de class and it needs to be solved using a de.

BrettJimison said:
Yes, my first instinct is to use energy. Unfortunately, this is for a de class and it needs to be solved using a de.

You could use de's to prove conservation of energy holds first. If dv/dt=-k/r^2 then (dv/dr)(dr/dt)=-k/r^2. dr/dt=v. So v*dv/dr=-k/r^2. Integrate it.

Dick said:
You could use de's to prove conservation of energy holds first. If dv/dt=-k/r^2 then (dv/dr)(dr/dt)=-k/r^2. dr/dt=v. So v*dv/dr=-k/r^2. Integrate it.
Hello dick, thanks for the response. I solved the de using a similar method you mentioned above. I checked my solution using a work integral and it was .001 off of the "accepted value". It involved solving the de and finding the critical values and setting a part of the velocity function derived greater than the critical value (so I wouldn't get complex numbers). I'm sure it could have been done many ways. Also, I checked my answer by a simple energy equation as Ray eluded to.

Related to Differential equations and escape velocities

1. What are differential equations and how are they used in physics?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time or in relation to other variables. In physics, they are used to model and understand various physical phenomena, such as motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits.

2. What is escape velocity and how is it calculated?

Escape velocity is the minimum velocity an object needs to escape the gravitational pull of a larger body, such as a planet or moon. It is calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger body, and r is the distance between the object and the larger body.

3. Can escape velocity vary for different objects?

Yes, the escape velocity for an object depends on its mass and the mass of the larger body it is trying to escape from. For example, the escape velocity for a rocket leaving Earth will be different from the escape velocity for a satellite leaving the Moon.

4. How is escape velocity related to orbital velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum velocity needed to escape the gravitational pull of a larger body, while orbital velocity is the velocity needed to maintain a stable orbit around the larger body. Escape velocity is usually higher than orbital velocity, as it needs to overcome the pull of gravity completely.

5. How do differential equations relate to escape velocities?

Differential equations are used to model the motion of objects in relation to each other, and this includes calculating escape velocities. By using differential equations, scientists can determine the escape velocity needed for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a larger body.