Differential equation problem: Solve dy/dx = (y^2 - 1)/(x^2 - 1), y(2) = 2

In summary: It's not clear to me what you are asking. Please clarify.My bad, i got confused by the +/- sign. Please disregard.
murshid_islam
Homework Statement
Solve dy/dx = (y^2 - 1)/(x^2 - 1), y(2) = 2
Relevant Equations
dy/dx = (y^2 - 1)/(x^2 - 1), y(2) = 2
This is my attempt:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y^2 - 1}{x^2 - 1}
\\ \int \frac{dy}{y^2 - 1} = \int \frac{dx}{x^2 - 1}
\\ \ln \left| \frac{y-1}{y+1} \right| + C_1 = \ln \left| \frac{x-1}{x+1} \right| + C_2
\\ \ln \left| \frac{y-1}{y+1} \right| = \ln \left| \frac{x-1}{x+1} \right| + C [/tex]

Since y(2) = 2,
[tex]\ln \left| \frac{1}{3} \right| = \ln \left| \frac{1}{3} \right| + C
\\ \therefore C = 0[/tex]

So,
[tex]\ln \left| \frac{y-1}{y+1} \right| = \ln \left| \frac{x-1}{x+1} \right|
\\ \left| \frac{y-1}{y+1} \right| = \left| \frac{x-1}{x+1} \right|
\\ \frac{y-1}{y+1} = \pm \frac{x-1}{x+1}
\\y = x, y = \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

Is this ok, or did I make any mistake?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try inserting your solutions in the original ODE and boundary condition?

Orodruin said:
Did you try inserting your solutions in the original ODE and boundary condition?
Both y = x and y = 1/x satisfy the original ODE, but the boundary condition works for y = x only.

Likes Michael Price
murshid_islam said:
Both y = x and y = 1/x satisfy the original ODE, but the boundary condition works for y = x only.
Is that it? Is that why y = x is the only solution?

murshid_islam said:
murshid_islam said:
Is that it? Is that why y = x is the only solution?
If the boundary condition was ##y(1) = 1##, both ## y = x ## and ## y = \frac{1}{x} ## would be correct solutions, right?

murshid_islam said:
If the boundary condition was ##y(1) = 1##, both ## y = x ## and ## y = \frac{1}{x} ## would be correct solutions, right?
The differential equation is not well defined in (x,y) = (1,1) as you have an expression of the form 0/0 for dy/dx.

Orodruin said:
The differential equation is not well defined in (x,y) = (1,1) as you have an expression of the form 0/0 for dy/dx.
Oh yes. How did I not notice this? :headbang:

Murshid, did you check the other possibility of y=-x (from your first post) ?

WWGD said:
Murshid, did you check the other possibility of y=-x (from your first post) ?
But my first post mentions only y=x and y=1/x

murshid_islam said:
But my first post mentions only y=x and y=1/x
I understand , but notice your solution included a ## +/- ##

WWGD said:
I understand , but notice your solution included a ## +/- ##
Yes, ## \frac{y-1}{y+1} = \frac{x-1}{x+1} ## leads to ## y = x ##, and ## \frac{y-1}{y+1} = - \frac{x-1}{x+1} ## leads to ## y = \frac{1}{x} ##

Ok, it is not a solution to the original, I just wanted to ask if you had tested it.

WWGD said:
Ok, it is not a solution to the original, I just wanted to ask if you had tested it.
Should I? I don't get this. Why should I test it if it's not a solution to the differential equation? Are you hinting something that I'm missing?

murshid_islam said:
Should I? I don't get this. Why should I test it if it's not a solution to the differential equation? Are you hinting something that I'm missing?
My bad, i got confused by the +/- sign. Please disregard.

Related to Differential equation problem: Solve dy/dx = (y^2 - 1)/(x^2 - 1), y(2) = 2

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is used to model the rate of change of a system over time.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

To solve a differential equation, you need to find an expression that satisfies the equation. This can be done by using integration, substitution, and other mathematical techniques.

3. How do you solve the given differential equation?

To solve dy/dx = (y^2 - 1)/(x^2 - 1), y(2) = 2, you can use the method of separation of variables. This involves separating the variables on either side of the equation and integrating both sides to get the solution.

4. What is the initial condition in a differential equation?

The initial condition in a differential equation is a given value of the unknown function at a specific point. In this case, y(2) = 2 is the initial condition, which means that the solution must satisfy the equation at x = 2 and y = 2.

5. Can you use a computer to solve a differential equation?

Yes, you can use a computer to solve a differential equation. There are various software programs and online tools available that can solve differential equations numerically and analytically.