Differential Equation -> Behaviour near these singular points

In summary, vanhees71 was looking for help with homework equations and was asking for someone who could explain the reasoning behind the multiple choice questions. He was not able to solve the equations by himself and was looking for guidance.
s3a
Differential Equation ---> Behaviour near these singular points

Homework Statement

Problem & Questions:
(a) Determine the two singular points x_1 < x_2 of the differential equation
(x^2 – 4) y'' + (2 – x) y' + (x^2 + 4x + 4) y = 0

(b) Which of the following statements correctly describes the behaviour of the differential equation near the singular point x_1?:
A. All non-zero solutions are unbounded near x_1.
B. At least one non-zero solution remains bounded near x_1 and at least one solution is unbounded near x_1.
C. All solutions remain bounded near x_1.

(c) Which of the following statements correctly describes the behaviour of the differential equation near the singular point x_2?:
A. All solutions remain bounded near x_2.
B. At least one non-zero solution remains bounded near x_2 and at least one solution is unbounded near x_2.
C. All non-zero solutions are unbounded near x_2.

Answers:
(a) x_1 = –2 and x_2 = 2
(b) C
(c) B

Homework Equations

Division by the function of x in front of the second order derivative.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to get x_1 and x_2 (by dividing both sides of the differential equation by the function of x in front of the second order
derivative), but could someone please tell me why the multiple-choice parts are C and B, respectively? I don't get the reasoning/logic behind why those are the correct answers.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part (b) you forgot to include option C (I assume it's all nonzero solutions remain bounded just from the pattern of the other options)

Oops! Sorry, I corrected it now!

I just wanted to say that, despite this thread being 15 days old, I am still interested in getting help, if someone is willing to help me out.

Have look at the Frobenius method, i.e., expansion of solutions around the singular points in terms of generalized power series.

Thanks for the answer, vanhees71, but could you please tell me what I would have to do, in order to answer the multiple choice questions, once I obtained the power series solution?

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck.

So far, and I'm not sure if I'm on the right track, I'm thinking that I need to use the ratio test to find the radius of convergence for each singular point, and analyze the inequalities obtained.

Is that much correct? If so, what do I do next? If not, could you please, at least, tell me how to get started, in words, and leave the algebra to me?

Related to Differential Equation -> Behaviour near these singular points

1. What is a singular point in a differential equation?

A singular point in a differential equation is a point at which the solution becomes undefined or infinite. This can occur when the coefficients or variables in the equation become zero, or when the solution reaches a point of discontinuity.

2. How can we determine the behavior of a differential equation near a singular point?

The behavior of a differential equation near a singular point can be determined by analyzing the factors affecting the singularity, such as the type of singularity (e.g. removable or non-removable), the degree of the singularity, and the presence of other nearby singular points. These factors can give insight into the behavior of the solution near the singular point.

3. What is the significance of knowing the behavior of a differential equation near a singular point?

Understanding the behavior of a differential equation near a singular point can provide valuable information about the overall solution. It can help identify critical points, determine stability and convergence of the solution, and make predictions about the long-term behavior of the system.

4. Can a differential equation have more than one singular point?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple singular points. The behavior of the solution near each singular point may be different, and it is important to analyze each one separately to fully understand the behavior of the system.

5. Are there any techniques for solving differential equations near singular points?

Yes, there are various techniques for solving differential equations near singular points, such as the Frobenius method, which involves finding a series solution, or the method of undetermined coefficients, which uses the known behavior of the solution at the singular point to determine coefficients. However, these techniques may not always be applicable, and further analysis may be needed to fully understand the behavior of the solution near a singular point.