Differential Equation (2nd Order Linear)

In summary: So basically, try to manipulate the equation to make it look like something more familiar and then try to solve from there. Thanks for your help!In summary, the conversation discusses a student's difficulty in solving a second order linear ODE with a constant, where the solution is found to have a form of C1*sin(wx)/x + C2*cos(wx)/x. The student is puzzled by the x's in the denominators and asks for help in determining the solution form. Another solver suggests trying the solution y=exp(λx)/x, and the student is able to solve the equation using this method. The conversation concludes with a discussion on recognizing familiar terms and manipulating the equation to make it easier to solve.
turpy

Homework Statement

(x2)d2y/dx2 + 2*x*(dy/dx) + w2*x2*y=0

Where w is a constant

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a really hard time figuring out how to solve this. Usually for second order linear ODEs I start with assuming a solution of form y=eλx, substitute into the equation, find the two roots and get the solution as y= c1*y1+ c2*y2. It doesn't work in this case though.

From another solver I found that the solution has the form of C1*sin(wx)/x + C2*cos(wx)/x.
With sin and cos present, usually the method I mentioned above has to yield complex conjugate roots. But I'm really puzzled by the x's in the denominators. What kind of solution form would I have to assume to get that?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
turpy said:

Homework Statement

(x2)d2y/dx2 + 2*x*(dy/dx) + w2*x2*y=0

Where w is a constant

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a really hard time figuring out how to solve this. Usually for second order linear ODEs I start with assuming a solution of form y=eλx, substitute into the equation, find the two roots and get the solution as y= c1*y1+ c2*y2. It doesn't work in this case though.

From another solver I found that the solution has the form of C1*sin(wx)/x + C2*cos(wx)/x.
With sin and cos present, usually the method I mentioned above has to yield complex conjugate roots. But I'm really puzzled by the x's in the denominators. What kind of solution form would I have to assume to get that?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

The solution you got should be a good clue. Try assuming y=exp(λx)/x.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
The solution you got should be a good clue. Try assuming y=exp(λx)/x.

Works out great, thanks! I just wonder how I would ever think to assume that solution form without being given the solution first...

turpy said:
Works out great, thanks! I just wonder how I would ever think to assume that solution form without being given the solution first...

Don't know. I'm not that great with ODE's. I'd just say trial and error. But maybe somebody else knows a rule that applies here.

Without seeing anything but the DE I would think a series solution would be the first thing to try. Because x=0 is a regular singular point, I would try$$
y=\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^{n+r}$$With luck one might recognize the resulting series.

Likes 1 person
You have a product of a function of x and y as last term on LHS. When you have that sort of thing you can try to recognise the sort of terms that differentiation of products gives you. Leibniz' theorem is often useful. In this case divide all by x and I think you can recognise you have a differential equation in xy.

Likes 1 person
epenguin said:
You have a product of a function of x and y as last term on LHS. When you have that sort of thing you can try to recognise the sort of terms that differentiation of products gives you. Leibniz' theorem is often useful. In this case divide all by x and I think you can recognise you have a differential equation in xy.

Nice.

Related to Differential Equation (2nd Order Linear)

1. What is a second order linear differential equation?

A second order linear differential equation is a type of differential equation that contains only first and second derivatives of the dependent variable and can be expressed in the form: a2(x)y'' + a1(x)y' + a0(x)y = b(x), where a2(x), a1(x), and a0(x) are functions of x and b(x) is a function of x or a constant.

2. How do you solve a second order linear differential equation?

There are several methods for solving a second order linear differential equation, including the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of reduction of order, and the method of variation of parameters. Each method involves different steps and techniques, but they all ultimately lead to finding a solution that satisfies the given equation and initial conditions.

3. What is the role of initial conditions in solving a second order linear differential equation?

Initial conditions are values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point (usually x = 0) that are given in the problem. These conditions are necessary for finding a unique solution to the differential equation. They can be used to determine the values of the arbitrary constants that arise during the solving process.

4. Can a second order linear differential equation have non-constant coefficients?

Yes, a second order linear differential equation can have non-constant coefficients. The methods for solving these equations are more complex and often involve using power series or other special functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of second order linear differential equations?

Second order linear differential equations are used to model many natural phenomena, such as the motion of a spring-mass system, the growth or decay of a population, and the current flow in an electrical circuit. They are also used in engineering and physics to describe the behavior of vibrating systems, such as bridges and buildings, and in control systems for robots and other machinery.