Differential Eqns Separable Equation?

In summary: Basically the general formula for integrating is \int{x^rdx}= \frac{1}{r+1} x^{r+1}+C where r \neq -1Thanks for the reply, konthelion. I was in the process of editing the last post when you posted, I apologize.
Prologue

Homework Statement

Problem given basically in the beginning of the book, Sec. 1.4, about separable equations.

Find general solutions (implicit if necessary, explicit if convenient) of the diff. eq.

[tex]dy/dx+2xy^2=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

There was a previous section where they popped this out of thin air:
A solution of [tex]dy/dx=y^2[/tex] is [tex]y=1/c-x[/tex]

I'm presuming that that is supposed to be helpful somehow.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]dy/dx=-2xy^2 => dy/y^2=-2xdx[/tex]

Now I can't integrate the left side.

I'm sure that is an abysmal way of going at it. So any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Prologue said:

Homework Statement

Problem given basically in the beginning of the book, Sec. 1.4, about separable equations.

Find general solutions (implicit if necessary, explicit if convenient) of the diff. eq.

[tex]dy/dx+2xy^2=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

There was a previous section where they popped this out of thin air: [tex]A solution of dy/dx=y^2 is 1/c-x[/tex]

I'm presuming that that is supposed to be helpful somehow.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]dy/dx=-2xy^2 => dy/y^2=-2xdx[/tex]

Now I can't integrate the left side.

I'm sure that is an abysmal way of going at it. So any help would be appreciated.

That's a perfectly good way of going at it. The question is why are you having trouble integrating y-2dy? Didn't you learn a general formula for integrating powers? (Other than -1)

I haven't learned a formula for that. I will bet that it involves grabbing the derivative of the denominator from somewhere and thinking of it as a u-substitution but I'm not seeing where that is possible.

EDIT: Ok I just ignored that y was a function of x and integrated, and it worked out perfectly fine. I am supposing that just this idea is a point of this exercise. When you integrate something in this way, you have an equation and integrate both sides. When you do it that way y is no longer taken as being a function of x. I can accept that as the point, but now why is that possible?

Last edited:
Ah, I think you're looking at it like this [tex]\frac{f'(x)}{[f(x)]^2}[/tex] in your head, and somehow you think of it as a u-substitution where u = f(x).

Basically the general formula for integrating is

[tex]\int{x^rdx}= \frac{1}{r+1} x^{r+1}+C[/tex] where [tex]r \neq -1[/tex]

Thanks for the reply, konthelion. I was in the process of editing the last post when you posted, I apologize.

I do know that general rule of integration (it has been severely beaten into my brain) but I was having trouble with the y. My head is saying 'Hey, hold on a minute y is a function of x, you can't do that.' Apparently my head is wrong.

Related to Differential Eqns Separable Equation?

1. What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of differential equation where the variables can be separated on opposite sides of the equation. This allows for the solution to be found by integrating each side separately.

2. How do you solve a separable differential equation?

To solve a separable differential equation, you must first separate the variables on opposite sides of the equation. Then, you can integrate each side separately and solve for the constant of integration. Finally, you can plug in the initial conditions to find the specific solution.

3. What are the advantages of using separable differential equations?

One advantage of using separable differential equations is that they can often be solved using simple integration techniques. Additionally, they can be used to model many real-world situations, making them a valuable tool in science and engineering.

4. Can all differential equations be solved using separation of variables?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using separation of variables. This method only works for certain types of equations, such as first-order differential equations with separable variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using separable differential equations?

One limitation of using separable differential equations is that they can only be used for certain types of equations. Additionally, they may not always provide an exact solution and may require approximations or numerical methods to solve.