Differences between the 3 Halliday textbooks

In summary, the conversation is discussing the differences between three different physics textbooks: "Physics, 5th Edition" by Halliday, Resnick, and Krane, "Fundamentals of Physics, 8th Edition, Regular Edition" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker, and "Fundamentals of Physics Extended, 8th Edition" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker. The main difference between the regular and extended editions is that the extended edition includes material on modern physics, which may not be necessary for all general physics courses. Some recommend the Krane text as well, and it is noted that older editions of the HRW text have similar problems to the newer editions. Overall, it is suggested to select the
rakrobn
What are the differences between the 3 books below? Are they all pretty much the same? I wanted the text that would serve well for independent study for General Physics I and II and with not just plug-and-chug problems.

What is "extended" in that edition compared to the regular edition?

In reading posts, I've heard that getting the 1st or 2nd edition would be good (I don't know if that refers to the text with Krane as the third author or the book with Walker as the third author.)

Physics, 5th Edition
by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Kenneth S. Krane
Volume 1 ISBN: 978-0-471-32057-9
Volume 2 ISBN: 978-0-471-40194-0

Fundamentals of Physics, 8th Edition, Regular Edition
David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Jearl Walker
ISBN: 978-0-470-04472-8

Fundamentals of Physics Extended, 8th Edition
David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Jearl Walker
ISBN: 978-0-471-75801-3

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-302475.html?query=David+Halliday"

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Huzaifa
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't go wrong with Halliday, Resnik, & Walker. Some problems can be quite challenging, though there will be some plug and chug.

I haven't worked with the Krane text, but I have heard good things.

As for the edition, I have the fourth and seventh editions of HRW and many of the problems are exactly the same, and the older one only cost me 20$ with a student study guide.

The extended is if your Gen. Physics course contains a third or fourth term on modern physics, but normally professors use a different text for modern and it is normally a separate course outside of gen. physics...it's really not worth the extra cash for the extended, pick up tipler's modern text or Renik's quantum text instead for the last few chapters of HRW.

Likes Huzaifa

The three textbooks mentioned above, Physics 5th Edition, Fundamentals of Physics 8th Edition (regular edition), and Fundamentals of Physics Extended 8th Edition, all cover the same subject matter of general physics with similar content and organization. However, there are some differences between them that may affect your choice for independent study.

The first difference is in the number of volumes. Physics 5th Edition and Fundamentals of Physics 8th Edition are divided into two volumes, while Fundamentals of Physics Extended 8th Edition is a single volume. This may affect portability and convenience for studying on-the-go.

The next difference is in the authors. Physics 5th Edition and Fundamentals of Physics 8th Edition are co-authored by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, while Fundamentals of Physics Extended 8th Edition has Jearl Walker as the third author. This may not have a significant impact on the content, but it is worth considering.

One major difference between the regular edition and extended edition is the inclusion of additional material in the latter. Fundamentals of Physics Extended 8th Edition has additional chapters and sections on advanced topics such as thermodynamics, relativity, and quantum mechanics. This may be beneficial for those looking for a more in-depth understanding of physics.

In terms of problem sets, all three textbooks have a mix of conceptual and mathematical questions. However, Fundamentals of Physics Extended 8th Edition is known for having more challenging and thought-provoking problems, which may be more suitable for independent study and critical thinking.

In conclusion, while all three textbooks cover the same subject matter, the extended edition offers additional material and more challenging problem sets. It may be a better choice for those looking for a comprehensive and rigorous study of general physics. However, the regular edition and Physics 5th Edition are also reputable choices and may be suitable for those looking for a more condensed and manageable textbook. Ultimately, the best choice will depend on your personal learning style and goals.

Related to Differences between the 3 Halliday textbooks

1. What are the main differences between the three Halliday textbooks?

The three Halliday textbooks (Fundamentals of Physics, Physics for Scientists and Engineers, and Principles of Physics) cover the same basic concepts and principles of physics, but with different levels of depth and breadth. Fundamentals of Physics is the most basic and introductory text, while Physics for Scientists and Engineers is more advanced and includes additional topics. Principles of Physics is the most comprehensive and advanced text, covering all topics in depth.

2. Which Halliday textbook is best for beginners?

Fundamentals of Physics is the best choice for beginners as it provides a solid foundation in the basic principles of physics without overwhelming the reader with too much technical detail.

3. Are there any significant differences in the way the three Halliday textbooks present the material?

While the core concepts and principles are the same, there may be some variations in the order and approach to presenting the material in each textbook. Additionally, Physics for Scientists and Engineers and Principles of Physics may include more advanced topics and applications not covered in Fundamentals of Physics.

4. Can I use any of the Halliday textbooks for self-study?

Yes, all three textbooks are suitable for self-study, but it is recommended to choose the one that best matches your level of understanding and background knowledge.

5. Do the three Halliday textbooks have the same problem sets and exercises?

While there may be some overlap, each textbook has its own unique set of problems and exercises. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the material and provides additional practice for students using more than one textbook.