Difference in liquid column heights in a rotating U-tube

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the difference in height between liquid columns in a U-shaped tube when it is rotating with an angular speed w on a horizontal turntable. The solution involves using the equations a=w^2r towards the centre and p = p(o) + density*g*h, with a previous part of the question giving the equation h=aL/g. The question then asks about the circular case and a solution is reached using the equation Q = aρ and integrating the expression \omega ^2 r \rho dr.
kidsmoker

Homework Statement

A U-shaped tube with a horizontal segment of length L contains a liquid. What is the difference in height between the liquid columns in the vertical arms if the tube is mounted on a horizontal turntable, and is rotating with angular speed w, with one of the vertical arms on the axis of rotation?

Homework Equations

a=w^2r towards the centre
p = p(o) + density*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

A previous part to the question was finding the difference in height if the U-tube had acceleration a towards the right. I did this and found h=aL/g.

I was thinking I could just substitute a=w^2L into this equation but then I had second thoughts since the acceleration decreases as you get closer to the axis of rotation. Do you take the average acceleration intead?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
kidsmoker said:
I was thinking I could just substitute a=w^2L into this equation but then I had second thoughts since the acceleration decreases as you get closer to the axis of rotation. Do you take the average acceleration intead?

Hi kidsmoker! :smile:

In the first case (linear acceleration),

if the linear density (mass/length) is ρ, and the pressure gradient is Q, then a length dr in the middle will have mass ρ dr and acceleration a, and so mass x acceleration = aρ dr = pressure difference = Q dr,

so Q = aρ, and so total pressure difference = aρL.

Does that help you with the circular case? :smile:

Ah yeah I get it now thanks. :)

Although I took vector calculus, I didn't understand what you mean by "gradient pressure", tiny-tim. I think I should google for it.

For the first question I get that the answer is [tex]h=\frac{aL}{g}[/tex] and the column of liquid that has a higher high is the right one.

I tried the second part of the question, namely the first question that kidsmoker asked, and reached [tex]h=\frac{L^2 \omega ^2}{2g}[/tex] but I'm unsure of the integral I used.
The difference of pressure within a [tex]dr[/tex] element is [tex]\omega ^2 r \rho dr[/tex]. I integrated this expression with respect to [tex]r[/tex], from [tex]0[/tex] to [tex]L[/tex].

Related to Difference in liquid column heights in a rotating U-tube

1. What is a rotating U-tube and how does it work?

A rotating U-tube is a scientific apparatus used to study the behavior of fluids under the influence of centripetal force. It consists of a long tube bent into the shape of a U, with one end attached to a rotating arm. When the arm is rotated, the fluid in the U-tube is subject to a centrifugal force, causing it to rise on one side and fall on the other. This allows for the observation of various fluid phenomena, such as surface tension and capillary action.

2. What factors affect the behavior of fluid in a rotating U-tube?

The behavior of fluid in a rotating U-tube is primarily influenced by three factors: the speed of rotation, the density of the fluid, and the viscosity of the fluid. As the speed of rotation increases, the centrifugal force also increases, causing the fluid to rise higher on one side and fall lower on the other. The density of the fluid will determine how quickly the fluid responds to the centrifugal force, while the viscosity will affect the overall flow and shape of the fluid.

3. What are some common applications of a rotating U-tube?

A rotating U-tube has a wide range of applications in various scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used to study the behavior of fluids in microgravity environments, as well as to investigate the properties of different liquids and how they interact with each other. It is also commonly used in the design and testing of centrifugal separators and other fluid processing equipment.

4. How does the shape of the U-tube affect the behavior of fluid in a rotating U-tube?

The shape of the U-tube can have a significant impact on the behavior of the fluid. For example, a narrower U-tube will result in a higher rise of the fluid on one side and a lower fall on the other, compared to a wider U-tube. Additionally, the angle of the bend in the U-tube can affect the symmetry of the fluid's behavior. A sharper bend will typically lead to a more pronounced separation of the fluid levels on either side.

5. What are some other techniques used to study the behavior of fluids in a rotating system?

In addition to a rotating U-tube, other techniques used to study the behavior of fluids in a rotating system include the Coriolis effect, which is used to measure the flow rate of a fluid in a rotating pipe, and the Taylor-Couette apparatus, which consists of two rotating cylinders to investigate the effects of viscous forces on fluid flow. Other methods include using rotating disks or spheres, as well as numerical simulations and mathematical models.