Difference between tensor product and direct product?

In summary: They can also be defined for modules, algebras, and more generally for objects in a monoidal category. This allows for the extension of concepts such as tensor products to a wider range of mathematical structures. In summary, the tensor product is a larger space with a different dimension and is defined using the universal property, allowing for its use in various mathematical contexts.
"pi"mp
Hi,
I have been learning about tensor products from Dummit and Foote's Abstract Algebra and I'm a little confused. I understand the construction of going to the larger free group and "modding out" by the relations that will eventually end up giving us module structure.

But just in the case of taking the tensor product of two vector spaces to get another vector space, how is this different than just taking the direct product of the two spaces? Because the direct product will also give us a larger, new vector space.

I'm guessing the answer to my question will be along the lines of "it's because of the Universal Property the tensor product satisfies..." but I can afford to be set a little straight here!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
They are both larger spaces (for vector spaces at least), but they have different dimensions. If ##V## and ##W## are vector spaces, then the dimension of ##V\times W## is dim(V) + dim(W).
However, the dimension of ##V\otimes W## is dim(V)dim(W). So that's one difference.

The use of the tensor product is indeed in the universal property. That says that bilinear maps ##V\times W\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## correspond exactly to linear maps ##V\otimes W\rightarrow \mathbb{R}##.

But the direct product does not come with an explicit construction as a vector space (altho it can be made into one), while the tensor product does. And the tensor is not strictly larger, at least not up to isomorphism; R(x)R~R ; it is just not of lower dimension,since the dimensions multiply.

Notice tensors are not only defined for vector spaces.

Related to Difference between tensor product and direct product?

1. What is the difference between tensor product and direct product?

The main difference between tensor product and direct product is the way they combine two mathematical objects. Tensor product combines two vector spaces to create a new vector space, while direct product combines two groups to create a new group.

2. How do tensor product and direct product differ in terms of their properties?

Tensor product and direct product have different properties. Tensor product is commutative, associative, and distributive, while direct product is not commutative or associative but is distributive.

3. Can tensor product and direct product be applied to different mathematical objects?

Yes, both tensor product and direct product can be applied to a variety of mathematical objects, including vector spaces, groups, rings, and modules.

4. What are some practical applications of tensor product and direct product?

Tensor product and direct product have many practical applications in different fields of science, such as physics, engineering, computer science, and mathematics. For example, tensor product is used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of physical systems.

5. How can one determine which product to use in a given situation?

The choice between tensor product and direct product depends on the mathematical objects involved and the properties that need to be preserved. In general, tensor product is used to combine objects that are "multi-dimensional," while direct product is used to combine objects that are "one-dimensional."