DiffEQ 2nd order series sol'n problem: (1 - x)y'' + y = 0, x0 = 0

In summary, Boyce, DiPrima's Differential Equations 8th edition states that if you have a function that takes two inputs, y and x, and assigns a value of y to x if x is greater than or equal to 0, and a value of y+1 to x if x is greater than or equal to 1, then the recursion equation for this function is y(x) = a_0 + a_1 x + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n x^n. This equation can be solved for x using the recursion formula a_2 = -a_0/2*x, and the final result is that x=a_0+a
VinnyCee
This problem is from section 5.2 in Boyce, DiPrima's Differential Equations 8th edition.

[tex](1 - x)\,y''\,+\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

I get:

[tex]2\,a_2\,+\,a_0\,+\,\sum_{n\,=\,1}^{\infty}\,\left[(n\,+\,2)\,(n\,+\,1)\,a_{n\,+\,2}\,-\,n\,(n\,+\,1)\,a_{n\,+\,1}\,+\,a_n\right]\,x_n\,=\,0[/tex]

Which leads to one equation:

[tex]2\,a_2\,+\,a_0\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]a_2\,=\,-\frac{1}{2}\,a_0[/tex]

and the recursion formula:

[tex]a_{n\,+\,2}\,=\,\frac{n\,(n\,+\,1)\,a_{n\,+\,1}\,-\,a_n}{(n\,+\,2)\,(n\,+\,1)}[/tex]

Now I am totally lost, just like in this other thread, because I don't know how to move on from this step. Please help :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
What now?

Using the recursion formula above, i get the following:

[tex]
a_{(0)+2} =\frac{((0)+1)(0)a_{(0)+1}-a_0}{((0)+2)((0)+1)}\:\:\:\:\:\:\:
a_2 =\frac{-a_0}{2*1}\\
[/tex]

[tex]
a_{(1)+2} =\frac{((1)+1)(1)a_{(1)+1}-a_{(1)}}{((1)+2)((1)+1)}\:\:\:\:\:\:\:
a_3 =\frac{-a_0-a_1}{3*2}\\[/tex]

[tex]a_{(2)+2} =\frac{((2)+1)(2)a_{(2)+1}-a_{(2)}}{((2)+2)((2)+1)}\:\:\:\:\:\:\:
a_4 =\frac{-a_1-\frac{1}{2}a_0}{4*3}\\
[/tex]

But I don't see much of a pattern. What am I doing wrong? Please help, thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Almost done...

After fixing the eroor in the first term of the recursion series above, I now set a0 = 1 and a1 = 0 to separate the two-types of terms left in the formula:

[tex]y(x)\,=\,\sum_{n\,=\,0}^{\infty}\,a_n\,x^n\,=\,a_0\,+\,a_1\,x\,-\,\frac{a_0}{2\,*\,1}\,x^2\,-\,\frac{a_0\,+\,a_1}{3\,*\,2}\,x^3\,-\,\frac{a_1\,+\,\frac{1}{2}\,a_0}{4\,*\,3}\,x^4[/tex]

[tex]y_{a_0\,=\,1,\,a_1\,=\,0}(x)\,=\,(1)\,+\,(0)\,x\,-\,\frac{(1)}{2\,*\,1}\,x^2\,-\,\frac{(1)\,+\,(0)}{3\,*\,2}\,x^3\,-\,\frac{(0)\,+\,\frac{1}{2}\,(1)}{4\,*\,3}\,x^4\,=\,1\,-\,\frac{1}{2}\,x^2\,-\,\frac{1}{6}\,x^3\,-\,\frac{1}{24}\,x^4\,+\,...[/tex]

Now with a0 = 0 and a1 = 1:

[tex]y_{a_0\,=\,0,\,a_1\,=\,1}(x)\,=\,(0)\,+\,(1)\,x\,-\,\frac{(0)}{2\,*\,1}\,x^2\,-\,\frac{(0)\,+\,(1)}{3\,*\,2}\,x^3\,-\,\frac{(1)\,+\,\frac{1}{2}\,(0)}{4\,*\,3}\,x^4\,=\,x\,-\,\frac{1}{6}\,x^3\,-\,\frac{1}{12}\,x^4\,-\,\frac{1}{24}\,x^5\,+\,...[/tex]

Now, factoring out the a0 and a1 terms from each:

[tex]y(x)\,=\,a_0\,\left[1\,-\,\frac{1}{2}\,x^2\,-\,\frac{1}{6}\,x^3\,-\,\frac{1}{24}\,x^4\,+\,...\right]\,+\,a_1\,\left[x\,-\,\frac{1}{6}\,x^3\,-\,\frac{1}{12}\,x^4\,-\,\frac{1}{24}\,x^5\,+\,...\right][/tex]

The book says this is the answer, but is there any way to generalize this equation more? Possibly by using a summation?

U could use factorials,but what would be the purpose?You found the solution,i say that's enough.

Daniel.

Related to DiffEQ 2nd order series sol'n problem: (1 - x)y'' + y = 0, x0 = 0

1. What is the second order series solution for the given differential equation?

The second order series solution for the differential equation (1 - x)y'' + y = 0 is y = c0 + c1x + c2x^2 + c3x^3 + ... + cnxn + ... where c0, c1, c2, ... are constants.

2. How do you find the initial conditions for the given differential equation?

The initial conditions for the given differential equation (1 - x)y'' + y = 0 are x0 = 0 and y(x0) = y0, where y0 is the initial value of y at x = 0.

3. Can the given differential equation be solved using the power series method?

Yes, the given differential equation (1 - x)y'' + y = 0 can be solved using the power series method as it is a linear homogeneous equation with variable coefficients.

4. What is the general formula for finding the coefficients in the power series solution?

The general formula for finding the coefficients in the power series solution is cn = (-1)^n/(n!(1-x)) * (d^n y/dx^n)|x=0, where n is the order of the coefficient and d^n y/dx^n is the nth derivative of y with respect to x.

5. How do you check the convergence of the power series solution?

The power series solution will converge if the limit of the absolute value of cn as n approaches infinity is equal to 0. This can also be checked by using the ratio test or the root test for convergence.