Diff. Eq. related to SHM question

• Thread starter astropi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary, Homework Statement: Homework problem related to a mass on a spring reduces to an equation involving the variables delta and cos(wt - \delta). A and B are solved to give a^2 + B^2, which is equal to a.
astropi

Homework Statement

This problem relates to a mass on a spring, or most any SHM. For an undamped free vibration, I can solve the problem and reduce it to this equation:

[itex]l = Acoswt + Bsinwt[/itex] (1)

I know the equation is correct. I also know that the above equation reduces to:

[itex] Rcos(wt -\delta)[/itex] (2)

Sad to say, I can not figure out how 1 reduces to 2 (though simple it should be)! There is the trig identity

cos(x-y) = cosx*siny + sinx*cosy

but I am uncertain as to whether this helps in this particular case. I also believe that

[itex]R^2 = A^2 + B^2[/itex]

and so putting everything together I *should* be able to reduce 1 to 2, but alas have failed. If someone can explain the steps, that would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you reduce (2) TO (1)?

If so, then work it in reverse.

Hi astropi,

I'll give you the important info to start you off!

What you can say is that [itex] A = asin(\delta)[/itex], and [itex] B = acos(\delta)[/itex]. By doing this, you introduce the variable [itex]\delta[/itex]. Take a couple of minutes to make sure that setting A and B equal to these values makes sense in your head.

You can then say: [itex]A^2 + B^2 = a^2 (sin^2(\delta) + cos^2(\delta)) = a^2 [/itex] so that [itex]a=sqrt(A^2 + B^2)[/itex].

Hopefully you can see where this is going, so I'll let you have a go at finishing!

Hi Sammy, although I should be able to reduce 2 to 1, for some reason I do not see it.

davo: thanks, I know that's how you get "a", or "R" as I called it in my expression. However, I've been tinkering with the formula trying to reduce it to the final expression using a trig identity and this apparently does not work.

By the way, if it makes a difference, I'm not doing this for class. I'm working out various elementary problems (such as SHM) from basic principles, and sadly became stuck in the math here! Rather than skip some steps I'm trying to be as thorough as possible. It's a bit embarrassing to ask for help with something so trivial, but oh well :)

Use the identity [itex]\cos (\alpha - \beta) = \cos \alpha \cos \beta + \sin \alpha \sin \beta[/itex] where [itex]\alpha = \omega t[/itex] and [itex]\beta = \delta[/itex].

Right, I see where I went wrong. Thanks everyone, and sorry to ask such a trivial question :)
I appreciate your help.

There's no such thing as a trivial question!

Related to Diff. Eq. related to SHM question

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many natural phenomena and is especially useful in physics and engineering.

2. How is a differential equation related to simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

SHM is a type of motion that can be described by a differential equation. The equation typically involves a second derivative of the position function, representing the acceleration of the object. By solving the differential equation, we can determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at any given time during SHM.

3. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution of a differential equation?

A general solution of a differential equation is a family of functions that satisfy the equation. It includes all possible solutions, but it may not have any specific values for the constants involved. A particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the equation and has values for all the constants.

4. How can we determine the period and frequency of SHM using a differential equation?

The period and frequency of SHM can be determined by solving the differential equation for the position function. The period is the time it takes for the object to complete one full cycle of motion, while the frequency is the number of cycles per unit time.

5. Can a differential equation be solved analytically for all types of SHM?

No, not all types of SHM can be solved analytically using a differential equation. Some types of SHM may require numerical methods or other advanced techniques to find a solution. However, many common types of SHM, such as simple pendulum motion and mass-spring systems, can be solved analytically using differential equations.