Dielectric Strength Of Liquids: looking for data

In summary, the dielectric strength of a liquid refers to its ability to resist electrical breakdown under an applied voltage. It is an important property for assessing the safety and effectiveness of liquids in various applications, such as in electrical insulation and cooling systems. The dielectric strength is typically measured in units of volts per unit of thickness, and there are various factors that can affect it, including temperature, impurities, and the presence of additives. Researchers continue to study and gather data on the dielectric strength of different liquids in order to better understand and utilize this important property.
Enthalpy
Hello all of you!

I'm looking for reliable data about the dielectric strength (=breakdown field) of liquid insulators with a high permittivity and a low viscosity and not too dangerous.

Examples of such liquids:
- Ethylene glycol carbonate. Propylene glycol carbonate. Maybe the oxalates and sulphates.
- Ethanol. Methanol.
- Small ketones and aldehydes
- Small phosphates?
- Furfuraldehyde maybe.

I couldn't find them in my Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (1990), in Wikipedia, nor on the Web.

The use would be in an electrostatic alternator which looks very interesting (MW or GW range!), as I describe it there:
http://saposjoint.cjb.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=1684
I suggest beginning to read on page 2 with the sketches and diagrams.

Thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Enthalpy said:
Hello all of you!

I'm looking for reliable data about the dielectric strength (=breakdown field) of liquid insulators with a high permittivity and a low viscosity and not too dangerous.

Examples of such liquids:
- Ethylene glycol carbonate. Propylene glycol carbonate. Maybe the oxalates and sulphates.
- Ethanol. Methanol.
- Small ketones and aldehydes
- Small phosphates?
- Furfuraldehyde maybe.

I couldn't find them in my Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (1990),...

Learn to use the index of the handbook! Look under "Dielectric Constant - Liquids" . In the 84th Edition it is in Section 6 pages 155 to 177.

I already have all permittivities.

Where do you find the dielectric strength?

Thank you!

Related to Dielectric Strength Of Liquids: looking for data

1. What is Dielectric Strength of Liquids?

Dielectric strength of liquids is a measure of the maximum electric field that a liquid can withstand without breaking down and becoming a conductor. It is an important property to consider in the design and use of electrical equipment and insulating materials.

2. How is Dielectric Strength of Liquids measured?

Dielectric strength of liquids is typically measured using a high-voltage source and a series of electrodes. The liquid sample is placed between the electrodes and the voltage is gradually increased until breakdown occurs. The maximum voltage at which breakdown occurs is then recorded as the dielectric strength.

3. What factors affect Dielectric Strength of Liquids?

The dielectric strength of liquids is influenced by a variety of factors including temperature, impurities, and the presence of dissolved gases. Other factors such as the type of liquid, its molecular structure, and the voltage waveform can also impact dielectric strength.

4. How is Dielectric Strength data used in industry?

Dielectric strength data is used in the selection and testing of insulating materials for electrical equipment. It is also important in the design of high-voltage systems and in predicting the performance and safety of electrical insulation in various applications.

5. Are there safety concerns related to Dielectric Strength of Liquids?

Yes, dielectric strength is an important safety consideration when working with electrical equipment and liquids. If the dielectric strength is too low, it can result in electrical breakdown, which can lead to equipment failure and potential hazards such as electric shock or fire. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the dielectric strength of liquids in any application involving electricity.

Back