Dielectric slab with a uniform field

In summary, the problem involves a dielectric slab with an external electric field applied in the z direction. The goal is to calculate the electric displacement, electric field, polarization, and bound charges of the system. One of the first steps is to determine that outside of the slab, the electric field remains at E0, which can be proven using Gauss' law. This is not affected by the dielectric constant inside the slab. The symmetry of the problem allows for the construction of a Gaussian surface within the vacuum area, and the absence of internal free charge leads to the conclusion that the external electric field must be E0. This is true regardless of the length of the Gaussian surface, making it a mathematically and physically sound explanation.
physiks

Homework Statement

An example I am reading has the following setup: a dielectric slab of dielectric constant εr exists between z=0 and z=d, whilst an external electric field E0=E0k is applied with k a unit vector in the z direction. This setup exists for all x and y. The rest of space is a vacuum.

The aim is to compute the electric displacement, the electric field, the polarization and the bound charges of the system.

One of the first steps is to conclude that outside of the slab, the electric field is E0. There is no explanation for this, and it seems sort of obvious - for example assuming a parallel plate capacitor produces the uniform field and then placing the slab inside this capacitor, the field in the vacuum would remain the same as what it was in the capacitor without the slab. I can prove this using Gauss' law. However how can I actually prove it for this problem without such an analogy - ideally mathematically but any simple physical reasoning will do. When I think of the situation without the capacitor analogy, I'm wondering how it is we would know that the polarization of the dielectric would not have any influence on the vacuum field.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if the following is redundant with what you have already concluded, but:

you can show by Gauss that the E field outside the capacitor is E0. It has nothing to do with the dielectric constant inside the capacitor.

rude man said:
I'm not sure if the following is redundant with what you have already concluded, but:

you can show by Gauss that the E field outside the capacitor is E0. It has nothing to do with the dielectric constant inside the capacitor.

Yes but there isn't actually a capacitor in the problem - I was just making the analogy that the uniform field could have been produced by a capacitor and in this way the whole thing would make sense. However I was wondering if there was a better way without having to bring in imaginary capacitors...

You don't have to think capacitor. You have an area where there is a dielectric ( 0<z<d) and you have an area where there's vacuum (z< 0 and z > d). Construct a Gaussian surface within the vacuum area.

rude man said:
You don't have to think capacitor. You have an area where there is a dielectric ( 0<z<d) and you have an area where there's vacuum (z< 0 and z > d). Construct a Gaussian surface within the vacuum area.

Ok, so no charge in the vacuum, so for any Gaussian surface the net flux must be zero. How does this tell me that the field is E0?

I guess the symmetry tells me any field must be in the z direction, so I can construct a cylindrical surface with an axis parallel to the z axis. Then as the flux is zero, the field must be the same at both caps of the cylinder. As the field is E0 at infinity, it must have this value anywhere else in the vacuum as I can make the cylinder as long as I want.

physiks said:
Ok, so no charge in the vacuum, so for any Gaussian surface the net flux must be zero. How does this tell me that the field is E0?

I guess the symmetry tells me any field must be in the z direction, so I can construct a cylindrical surface with an axis parallel to the z axis. Then as the flux is zero, the field must be the same at both caps of the cylinder. As the field is E0 at infinity, it must have this value anywhere else in the vacuum as I can make the cylinder as long as I want.

That sounds good. I would have said that, since your Gaussian volume has no internal free charge, there is no net E flux thru its surface. So the external E field is unchanged and must therefore be E0.

Related to Dielectric slab with a uniform field

1. What is a dielectric slab with a uniform field?

A dielectric slab with a uniform field refers to a material that is placed in a uniform electric field, which causes the electric charges within the material to align and create a polarized region.

2. How does a dielectric slab with a uniform field affect the electric field?

The dielectric slab with a uniform field can decrease the strength of the electric field by reducing the net charge within the material and redistributing it.

3. What is the purpose of using a dielectric slab with a uniform field?

A dielectric slab with a uniform field can be used to modify and control the strength of an electric field, making it useful in various applications such as capacitors and insulators.

4. How does the thickness of the dielectric slab affect the electric field?

The thicker the dielectric slab, the greater the decrease in the electric field strength due to the increased amount of material available to redistribute the charge.

5. Can a dielectric slab with a uniform field create its own electric field?

No, a dielectric slab with a uniform field cannot create its own electric field. It only modifies or redistributes the existing electric field. However, in some cases, the polarization of the material can create an induced electric field in the opposite direction of the applied field.