Did I solve the hanging cable problem correctly?

• Thread starter physwizard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary, the speaker discusses their attempt at solving the hanging cable problem using the calculus of variations and functional derivative. They were able to obtain the catenary equation, but it did not fit the boundary conditions. They mention that other solutions have been found by choosing a different origin, but question if they have made a mistake in their approach. They also suggest considering another boundary condition to determine the values of a and c.
physwizard
guys i got bored so i decided to try to solve the hanging cable problem - a cable suspended between two arbitrary points. i used the calculus of variations and the functional derivative to minimize the potential energy. i did get the catenary equation, y = a*cosh(x/a+b) + c . for some reason, it does not seem to fit the boundary conditions - y=0 at x=0, and y=a at x=a, i.e. you get imaginary values for the constants. (my origin is at the first point of suspension and here it is assumed that both points are at an equal height above the ground and x-axis is parallel to the ground and passes through the second point of suspension as well). I googled this problem and found that people who solved the problem by keeping the lowest point of the curve as the origin didn't run into the kind of problem i ran into. fundamentally, the choice of origin should not really matter. so did i do something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess your boundary conditions should be y=0 at x=0 and y=0 at x=a, right?
Then you can solve for b=-1/2 and determine the ratio c/a to equal cosh(-0.5).
To get a or c, you'd need another boundary condition.

Related to Did I solve the hanging cable problem correctly?

What is the hanging cable problem?

The hanging cable problem is a physics problem that involves determining the shape of a cable or chain that is suspended between two points under the influence of gravity. It is commonly used to model the behavior of suspension bridges, power lines, and other hanging structures.

What are the factors that affect the shape of a hanging cable?

The shape of a hanging cable is affected by several factors, including the weight of the cable, the distance between the two points of suspension, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as wind and tension in the cable can also influence the shape.

How is the shape of a hanging cable calculated?

The shape of a hanging cable can be calculated using mathematical equations derived from the principles of statics and calculus. These equations take into account the factors that affect the cable's shape and can be solved using numerical or analytical methods.

What is the catenary curve and how does it relate to the hanging cable problem?

The catenary curve is the shape that a hanging cable or chain takes under the influence of gravity. It is described by a mathematical function called the catenary function, which is a hyperbolic cosine curve. The catenary curve is the solution to the hanging cable problem for a cable with uniform weight per unit length.

What are some real-world applications of the hanging cable problem?

The hanging cable problem has many practical applications, including the design of suspension bridges, power lines, and cable car systems. It is also used in the design of suspension structures in architecture and engineering, such as roofs and arches. Additionally, the principles of the hanging cable problem are applied in the study of fluid mechanics and the behavior of elastic materials.