Did i rearrange this equation correctly? (circular motion)

In summary, to find the speed of the bucket, we use the equation v=√gr, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, r is the radius of the circle, and the mass is 2.00kg. Substituting the values, we get v=√1.10m x 9.81m/2^s = 3.28m/s. To find the speed needed at the top of the circle to prevent the rope from going slack, we use the equation v=√(mg*r - FT*r)/m. However, this may not be the correct method for this problem and may result in a complex number.
SmallPub
d

Homework Statement

A bucket 2.00kg is whirled in a vertical circle of a radius 1.10m. At the lowest point of its motion the tension in the rope supporting the bucket is 25.0 N a) find the speed of the bucket b) how fast must the bucket move at the top of the circle so that the rope does not go slack?

Homework Equations

v=√gr , FT = -mv2/r + mg ,

g=9.81m/s^2
m=2.00kg
r=1.10m
FT= 25.0 N

The Attempt at a Solution

a) v=√rg = √1.10m x 9.81m/2^s = 3.28m/s

b) v=√FTr-mg/-m <----- I am not sure if i rearranged that correctly

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should show the steps in how you rearranged it. Go through every step, and you will see, that it is wrong.

hjelmgart said:
Maybe you should show the steps in how you rearranged it. Go through every step, and you will see, that it is wrong.
can you show the correct equation to find v?

FT = -mv^2/r + mg
FT - mg = -mv^2
(FT - mg)*r/m = -v^2
-(FT - mg)*r/m = v^2

v = sqrt(-(FT - mg)*r/m)
v = sqrt((mg*r - FT*r)/m)

Although I don't think that is the correct method for this problem, anyway. I didn't look too much into it, though, but I am guessing, you will get some complex number from this.

Related to Did i rearrange this equation correctly? (circular motion)

1. How do I know if I have rearranged the equation correctly for circular motion?

The best way to check if you have rearranged the equation correctly is to compare it to the original equation. Make sure that both sides of the equation are equal and that you have not missed any terms or variables.

2. What are the key components of the equation for circular motion?

The key components of the equation for circular motion are the radius (r), the angular velocity (ω), and the centripetal acceleration (a). These three variables are used to calculate the speed and acceleration of an object moving in a circular path.

3. Can I rearrange the equation for circular motion to solve for a different variable?

Yes, you can rearrange the equation for circular motion to solve for any of the variables. Just make sure to follow the proper rules of algebra and keep both sides of the equation equal.

4. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when rearranging the equation for circular motion?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the units for each variable. Make sure to include the units throughout the equation to ensure accuracy. Another mistake is mixing up the formulas for linear and circular motion, so always double-check to make sure you are using the correct formula.

5. Can I use the equation for circular motion for any type of circular motion?

The equation for circular motion can be used for any type of circular motion, as long as the object is moving at a constant speed. If the speed is changing, the equation will need to be modified to include the changes in speed over time.