Did i do this problem right? (Work by Spring and KE)

• Thread starter Lori
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
Just to add, the equation for energy conservation would be:PE1 + KE1 = PE2 + KE2where PE1 is the initial gravitational potential energy and KE1 is the initial kinetic energy, while PE2 is the final gravitational potential energy and KE2 is the final kinetic energy. In this problem, since the object stops at the maximum height, KE2 = 0.
Lori

Homework Statement

upload_2017-11-8_13-48-5.png

Homework Equations

W= KE
Wspring = .5kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

since W = .5mv^2 = Wspring = .5x^2
i solve for v and get that v = sqrt(kx^2/m)
if i plug in multiply the x by 2, the 2 squares and i get 4. the square root of 4 is just 2 and it comes out as a constant , and so velocity is 2 times faster

Did i go through the problem correctly?[/B]

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-8_13-48-5.png
    upload_2017-11-8_13-48-5.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,624
Physics news on Phys.org
Lori said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 214618

Homework Equations

W= KE
Wspring = .5kx^2

if i plug in multiply the x by 2, the 2 squares and i get 4. the square root of 4 is just 2 and it comes out as a constant , and so velocity is 2 times faster

You got the right answer for the right reasons. You might like to think, however, about how you could organise your working better.

Lori said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 214618

Homework Equations

W= KE
Wspring = .5kx^2

You are right but if you have to write what is relation between heights

Abhishek kumar said:
You are right but if you have to write what is relation between heights
mgh + 1/2mv^2=PE of Spring + mgh
mgh + 1/2mv^2 = .5kx^2 + 0
mgh + .5mv^2 = .5k(2x)^2
mgh + .5mv^2 =4 (.5kx^2)

since m and g are constant in the left side of the equation, the coefficient 4 will affect the height and the speed of the object and the final KE
height will be 4 times as big and the velocity would be twice as fast at final, while the final KE will times 4

Lori said:
mgh + 1/2mv^2=PE of Spring + mgh
mgh + 1/2mv^2 = .5kx^2 + 0
mgh + .5mv^2 = .5k(2x)^2
mgh + .5mv^2 =4 (.5kx^2)
height will be 4 times as big and the velocity would be twice as fast at final
When block will reach its maximum height velocity will be zero at that instant simply applying energy conservation at that instant you will get the result

Abhishek kumar said:
When block will reach its maximum height velocity will be zero at that instant simply applying energy conservation at that instant you will get the result
How would you write the equation?

How is the one I wrote above incorrect?

In energy conservation E2 = E1

(Final energy) PE2 + KE2 = PE + KE1 (initial energy)

Lori said:
How would you write the equation?

How is the one I wrote above incorrect?

In energy conservation E2 = E1

(Final energy) PE2 + KE2 = PE + KE1 (initial energy)
When block reach max height at that instant velocity seized and no kinetic energy
. 5kx^2=mgh

Likes Lori
Abhishek kumar said:
seized
Ceased.

haruspex said:
Ceased.
Thank you for correcting me

Abhishek kumar said:
Thank you for correcting me
Oh I see. So in this spring problem. The initial energy comes from PE of spring.

The final energy comes from the gravitational energy since kinetic energy is 0 (because the object stops)

Likes Abhishek kumar
Lori said:
Oh I see. So in this spring problem. The initial energy comes from PE of spring.

The final energy comes from the gravitational energy since kinetic energy is 0 (because the object stops)[
Lori said:

The final energy comes from the gravitational energy since kinetic energy is 0 (because the object stops)
Yes you got it

Related to Did i do this problem right? (Work by Spring and KE)

1. How can I check if I did the problem right for calculating work by spring and kinetic energy?

One way to check your work is by double-checking your calculations and making sure you used the correct equations. You can also compare your answer to the expected result or solution provided in the problem. Additionally, you can ask a classmate or teacher to review your work and provide feedback.

2. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving problems involving work by spring and kinetic energy?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using the wrong formula, not converting units correctly, and not considering all the variables involved in the problem. It is also important to be careful with your signs and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations.

3. Is there a specific method or approach to solving problems related to work by spring and kinetic energy?

Yes, there are specific steps you can follow to solve problems involving work by spring and kinetic energy. These include identifying the known and unknown variables, selecting the appropriate equation, solving for the unknown variable, and checking your answer for reasonableness.

4. Can I use the same equation for calculating work by spring and kinetic energy in all problems?

No, the equations used for calculating work by spring and kinetic energy may vary depending on the specific problem and the given variables. It is important to carefully read the problem and determine which equation is most appropriate to use.

5. What are some real-life examples where understanding work by spring and kinetic energy is important?

Understanding work by spring and kinetic energy is important in many real-life scenarios, such as designing springs for machines and vehicles, calculating the potential energy and kinetic energy of objects in motion, and understanding the forces involved in collisions. It is also essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics.