Diameter of Charles Messier's Telescope

In summary, Charles Messier used a 100 mm (four inch) refracting telescope to make the Messier Catalog. This information can be found on SEDS's page, which lists the telescopes Messier used between 1765-69, taken from a 1807 book.
AstroCody
What was the diameter of the telescope that Charles Messier used to make the Messier Catalog?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Messier telescope was a 100 mm (four inch) refracting telescope.

Thanks for the answer.

You're welcome. It was pretty easy to google.

I would imagine. I tried finding it before but didn't search for the right thing.

It happens. I was called a google master by someone on the forum once but there are still times when I can't find the chair that I'm sitting on. :oldtongue:

Likes Imager

Related to Diameter of Charles Messier's Telescope

What is the diameter of Charles Messier's telescope?

The diameter of Charles Messier's telescope is approximately 3.5 inches.

How does the diameter of Messier's telescope compare to modern telescopes?

Compared to modern telescopes, the diameter of Messier's telescope is relatively small. Most modern telescopes have diameters of several feet or even meters.

Why did Messier choose a telescope with a smaller diameter?

Messier's telescope was built in the 18th century, when technology and materials were not as advanced as they are today. A smaller diameter was more practical and manageable for the time period.

Did the smaller diameter of Messier's telescope affect his ability to make significant astronomical discoveries?

No, the smaller diameter of Messier's telescope did not hinder his ability to make important astronomical discoveries. Messier was able to discover and catalog over 100 deep sky objects, including galaxies, nebulae, and star clusters.

Can Messier's telescope still be used for astronomical observations today?

While Messier's original telescope is no longer in use, modern replicas have been made and can still be used for basic astronomical observations. However, they are not as powerful or versatile as modern telescopes.