Dewar Flask: Clinging Noise Inside?

• Thread starter +energy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flask
In summary, the conversation discusses an old dewar flask that makes a strange clanging noise when shaken. The possibility of it being broken is mentioned and the suggestion of using an inspection mirror to check for cracks is given. One person also makes a joke about scotch hardening into candy.
+energy
I have an old dewar flask i found on clean up day, i was wondering, when i shake it, i hear a strange clinging noise inside, what could it be? (its the type used for bio samples)

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried looking inside? My first thought is that it's broken, and a piece of glass is rattling around between the walls.
Also, I assume that you mean a clanging noise. Clinging is usually silent, with perhaps a moan or two. :-p

I can just see the bottom, where the sample holders go, there are no signs of break, but there could be a crack at the top somewhere. only way i can check it still has vacuum, is to fill it with n2 or ice and see how long it lasts?

Sorry about my onomatopoeia

+energy said:
Sorry about my onomatopoeia

Don't be; I can't make jokes without ammunition. :biggrin:

edit: Come to think of it, can you use an inspection mirror? That's a small mirror on the end of a telescoping handle similar to a an old portable radio antenna. You can get one for a couple of bucks at any auto parts supplier and most hardware stores. (They're used by mechanics to check in tight spaces and under things.)

Last edited:
dewar-flask.jpg

I believe this happens when the scotch hardens into candy.

:smile:

Jeez, Flex! Long time, no giggles. From wherever you've been hiding, welcome back.

Related to Dewar Flask: Clinging Noise Inside?

1. What causes the clinging noise inside a Dewar flask?

The clinging noise inside a Dewar flask is caused by the liquid nitrogen or other cryogenic fluid inside the flask. As the liquid evaporates, it creates small bubbles that burst and make a noise against the walls of the flask.

2. Is the clinging noise inside a Dewar flask harmful?

No, the clinging noise inside a Dewar flask is not harmful. It is simply a result of the boiling and evaporation of the cryogenic fluid and does not indicate any damage or malfunction of the flask.

3. Can the clinging noise inside a Dewar flask be reduced or eliminated?

The clinging noise inside a Dewar flask can be reduced by using a foam or other insulating material to line the walls of the flask. However, it is not possible to completely eliminate the noise as it is a natural result of the evaporation process.

4. How can I tell if the clinging noise inside a Dewar flask is normal?

The clinging noise inside a Dewar flask is considered normal if it is a low, continuous sound. If the noise is loud or irregular, it may indicate a problem with the flask or the cryogenic fluid inside, and it is recommended to seek assistance from a professional.

5. Does the clinging noise inside a Dewar flask affect the performance of the flask?

No, the clinging noise inside a Dewar flask does not affect the performance of the flask. It is simply a byproduct of the evaporation process and does not impact the storage or transport of the cryogenic fluid inside.