Developing a rubbery serpentine wall as a highway median barrier

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a rubbery serpentine wall as a highway median barrier and the necessary tensile strength needed to withstand the impact of a 4400 lb pickup moving at 62.5 mph. The process involves using an excel spreadsheet and iterations to calculate the highest amount of force transferred to the wall at 2 foot intervals, taking into account factors such as momentum, thickness, weight, and friction. The question arises whether kinetic energy should be used instead of momentum for more accurate calculations. It is suggested to use kinetic energy to factor in friction force to the ground more easily, but it is advised to wait for an expert's input.
SamCJ
I am developing a rubbery serpentine wall as a highway median barrier and I need to know the tensile strength necessary to hold against a 4400 lb pickup moving 62.5 mph. Using an excel spreadsheet and iterations, I subtract the momentum of the wall from that of the pickup at 2 foot intervals until the pickup stops, and then I examine the calculations during each two foot interval for the highest amount of force transferred to the wall. The wall has some thickness and weight, and it sits loosely on the ground, so I also factor in friction. But should I use Kinetic Energy instead of momentum to determine the highest amount of force on the wall during each two foot interval?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use KE, that way you can factor in the friction force to the ground a lot easier.
I would wait for an expert to help you out though.

It is important to consider both kinetic energy and momentum when determining the necessary tensile strength for your rubbery serpentine wall. While momentum is a measure of the object's mass and velocity, kinetic energy takes into account the object's mass and velocity squared. This means that kinetic energy may provide a more accurate representation of the force exerted on the wall, as it takes into account the increased energy of the moving object.

Additionally, it may be beneficial to also consider the impact force of the pickup hitting the wall. This can be calculated by dividing the kinetic energy by the distance over which the impact occurs. This will give you a better understanding of the maximum force that the wall will need to withstand.

In order to accurately determine the necessary tensile strength for your wall, it may be helpful to consult with a structural engineer or conduct further research on similar highway barriers. They can provide valuable insights and expertise to ensure that your wall is able to withstand the force of a 4400 lb pickup moving at 62.5 mph.

Related to Developing a rubbery serpentine wall as a highway median barrier

1. How does a rubbery serpentine wall function as a highway median barrier?

A rubbery serpentine wall is designed to absorb impact and redirect it away from the highway and its drivers. The rubber material acts as a shock absorber, reducing the force of a collision and preventing vehicles from crossing over into oncoming traffic.

2. What are the advantages of using a rubbery serpentine wall as a highway median barrier?

The main advantage of a rubbery serpentine wall is its ability to effectively reduce the severity of accidents and prevent crossover collisions. It is also more flexible and durable than traditional concrete barriers, which can crack or break upon impact and require costly repairs.

3. How is a rubbery serpentine wall constructed and installed?

The wall is typically made of a combination of rubber and steel materials. The rubber panels are connected to each other and anchored to steel posts that are driven into the ground. The installation process is relatively quick and does not require heavy machinery.

4. Can a rubbery serpentine wall be used in all types of weather?

Yes, the rubber material is designed to withstand extreme temperatures and weather conditions. It is also resistant to UV rays, which can cause deterioration in other types of barriers. However, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain the wall to ensure its effectiveness.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks of using a rubbery serpentine wall as a highway median barrier?

One potential drawback is the initial cost of installation, which may be higher than traditional concrete barriers. However, the long-term benefits, such as reduced maintenance and repair costs and improved safety, can outweigh this initial investment. Additionally, the design of the wall may not be visually appealing to some people.