Determining X-ray strength and exposure

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a way to measure the strength of X-rays emitted by a machine used for measuring crystal orientation. The current setup includes an aluminum enclosure, which is being considered for removal. However, conclusive proof of its effectiveness is needed before making any changes. The machine's gauge ranges from 0 to 2 keV and the speaker has searched for information online but has not found anything helpful. A suggestion is made to consult a veterinarian for x-ray training and film. Concerns are raised about potential legal repercussions if someone were to develop cancer and sue due to radiation exposure. It is advised to consult with a Radiation Protection Officer and/or OSHA compliance personnel to ensure proper handling of the machine.
GrimCrimson
I work in an industrial facility and I am trying to come up with a way to measure the strength of X-rays and the danger they pose to the operators of a piece of equipment we have. As of now there is an aluminum enclosure around the part of the machine where the X-rays are emitted, but we are looking at removing it. The machine is used to measure crystal orientation.

We are 99.99% sure that the enclosure is not actually doing anything but I need to come up with a way to conclusively prove this before we can remove it.

The gauge on the front of the machine goes from 0 to 2 keV.

I have done a fairly extensive search on the internet but cannot find anything that I can really understand that will help me.

Does anyone know of a method I can use to determine that this machine will be safe without the enclosure?

Thank you in advance.

If any information is missing or I need to clarify something please let me know.

Science news on Phys.org
I am CERTAINLY NOT an expert on this topic, but have you considered x-ray film? You might have a chat with your local Veterinarian, he will likely have x-ray training, film and some suggestions.

Fish

Suppose someone were to develop cancer and to sue you. I don't think a defense like "the radiation level is low...you see, we got some film from a vet" is going to do anything except get you laughed out of the courtroom. Right after you lost everything you had.

You have some license to operate this machine, or the manufacturer has a license to sell it to people without a license, if the exposure is low enough. It is virtually certain that the license says that it is valid only insofar as no modifications are made to the machine.

You need to be talking to your Radiation Protection Officer and/or whoever handles OSHA compliance at your workplace.

Related to Determining X-ray strength and exposure

1. How is X-ray strength measured?

X-ray strength is typically measured in units of kilo-voltage peak (kVp) or milli-ampere seconds (mAs). kVp measures the voltage applied to the X-ray tube, while mAs measures the length of time the X-rays are produced. These two factors, along with the distance from the X-ray source, determine the overall strength and exposure of the X-rays.

2. What factors affect X-ray exposure?

Several factors can affect X-ray exposure, including the kVp, mAs, distance from the X-ray source, and the thickness and density of the object being imaged. The type and quality of the X-ray machine also play a role in determining exposure.

3. How do you calculate X-ray exposure?

X-ray exposure is calculated by multiplying the kVp by the mAs and dividing by the distance from the X-ray source squared. This formula is known as the inverse square law and helps determine the intensity of the X-rays reaching the object being imaged.

4. What is the difference between X-ray strength and exposure?

X-ray strength refers to the overall power of the X-ray beam, which can be adjusted by changing the kVp and mAs settings. X-ray exposure, on the other hand, refers to the amount of radiation that reaches the object being imaged. While X-ray strength can be adjusted by the technician, exposure is dependent on the object being imaged and its distance from the X-ray source.

5. How do you ensure safe levels of X-ray exposure?

To ensure safe levels of X-ray exposure, it is important to follow all safety protocols and regulations set by governing bodies. This includes wearing protective gear, limiting the amount of time exposed to X-rays, and using proper shielding techniques. Regular calibration and maintenance of X-ray machines can also help to minimize unnecessary exposure.