Determining when a mapping is an isomporphism

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mapping
In summary: Could you take a look and tell me if I am on the right track?In summary, the conjecture states that if ##k## is a prime number such that ##k \nmid n##, then ##\phi## is an isomorphism. Additionally, if ##gcd(k,n) =1##, then ##\phi## is an isomorphism.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Suppose that ##\phi : \mathbb{Z}_n \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_n##, where the rule is ##\phi([a]_n) = [ka]_n##. Formulate and prove a conjecture that gives necessary and sufficient conditions on the positive integers ##k## and ##n## which would guarantee that ##\phi## is an isomorphism.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already shown that is function is a homomorphism. After having worked with a few examples, I found that if either ##n## or ##k## can divide the other number, then ##\phi## would not be an isomorphism. When they say that they want me to give necessary and sufficient conditions, does that mean they want to prove that

"##\phi## is an isomorphism iff ##k## or ##n## do not divide each other?"

The only thing that troubles me is that there may be more restrictions upon ##k##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the case [itex]n = 10[/itex] and [itex]k = 15[/itex]. Neither divides the other, and yet [itex][a]_{10} \mapsto [15a]_{10} = [5a]_{10}[/itex] is not invertible, because [itex][5]_{10}[/itex] does not have a multiplicative inverse.

Consider the case [itex]k = 1[/itex] and [itex]n \geq 1[/itex]. Then clearly [itex]1[/itex] divides [itex]n[/itex], but [itex][a]_n \mapsto [a]_n[/itex] is trivially invertible.

You need to think more carefully about the circumstances in which [itex]\phi[/itex] is invertible. To start with, you might consider what [itex]\phi^{-1}[/itex] can possibly be.

pasmith said:
because ##[5]_{10}## does not have a multiplicative inverse.

Actually, the group operation is not multiplication, but the addition operator ##\oplus##, which is defined as

Edit: For someone reason, latex on physicsforums has been very problematic for me. I had the break the following up into three segments of latex code.

##[a]_n## ##\oplus## ##[a+b]_n##

Bashyboy said:
Actually, the group operation is not multiplication, but the addition operator ##\oplus##, which is defined as

The reason that [itex][a]_{10} \mapsto [5]_{10}[a]_{10}[/itex] is not an invertible additive homomorphism is that [itex][5]_{10}[/itex] has no multiplicative inverse.

The operation which takes [itex][a]_n[/itex] to [itex]\phi([a]_n)[/itex] is not addition of k mod n, but multiplication by k mod n, and that is the operation you need to invert.

I don't quite understand. We have not even discussed multiplication with respect to the group ##\mathbb{Z}_n##, only the addition operator ##\oplus##. Why is ##[a]_{10}## being mapped to ##[5]_{10} [a]_{10}##?

Bashyboy said:
I don't quite understand. We have not even discussed multiplication with respect to the group ##\mathbb{Z}_n##, only the addition operator ##\oplus##. Why is ##[a]_{10}## being mapped to ##[5]_{10} [a]_{10}##?

This is the homomorphism you are dealing with:

Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that ##\phi : \mathbb{Z}_n \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_n##, where the rule is ##\phi([a]_n) = [ka]_n##.

Note that [itex][ka]_n = [k]_n[a]_n[/itex], because [tex](k + pn)(a + qn) = ka + n(kq + pa + pqn)[/tex].

pasmith said:
##(k+pn)(a+qn)=ka+n(kq+pa+pqn)##

I don't understand what this demonstrates.

This is my problem: at this point in my algebra course, it does not even make sense to write ##[k]_n [a]_n##, unless you wish to define this as ##[k]_n [a]_n := [k]_n \oplus [a]_n##, which I do not believe is your import.

So, for all intents and purposes, I do not know what it means to talk about multiplication with respect to ##\mathbb{Z}_n##, nor do I know about multiplicative inverses. My point is, I do not believe the problem requires these concepts, otherwise it would have introduced them.

Okay, this problem is still troubling my mind. Could someone else possibly take a look at it? My professor said I was on the right track with both of these conjectures:

##\phi## is an isomorphism iff ##k## is a prime number such that ##k \nmid n##

and

##\phi## is an isomorphism iff ##gcd(k,n) =1##.

However, I ran into difficulties with both proofs.

Related to Determining when a mapping is an isomporphism

1. What is the definition of an isomorphism in mathematics?

An isomorphism is a mapping between two mathematical structures that preserves their structure and relationships. In other words, it is a one-to-one correspondence that preserves operations, structures, and properties.

2. How do you determine if a mapping is an isomorphism?

To determine if a mapping is an isomorphism, you need to check if it is bijective, which means that every element in the domain is mapped to a unique element in the codomain, and if it preserves the operations and structures of the two structures being mapped. If both of these conditions are met, then the mapping is an isomorphism.

3. What are the benefits of understanding isomorphisms in mathematics?

Understanding isomorphisms can help us identify equivalent structures, simplify complex problems, and make connections between seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts. It also allows us to extend our knowledge and techniques from one structure to another.

4. Can a mapping be an isomorphism without being bijective?

No, a mapping cannot be an isomorphism if it is not bijective. If a mapping is not bijective, then it does not preserve the one-to-one correspondence between the two structures being mapped, and therefore, it cannot be an isomorphism.

5. Are all isomorphisms reversible?

Yes, all isomorphisms are reversible. This means that if a mapping is an isomorphism, then it has a unique inverse mapping that is also an isomorphism. This allows us to go back and forth between the two structures being mapped while preserving their structures and relationships.