Determining the Wavelength of Sound using Resonance Tube

In summary, the conversation discusses a relationship between frequency and length in sound waves in tubes. The speaker is unsure of any relevant equations and is seeking the opinion of an experienced physicist. The conversation also mentions a graph of 1/f versus L, with a note to check for a closed pipe.
Nile Anderson

Homework Statement

upload_2016-6-3_3-24-30.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

I honestly do not know any relevant equations for this relationship.
Well except f=v/2l.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I could assume that it was was some sort of error , but I cannot find much material on the topic , so I was hoping to get the opinion of a well experienced physicist.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nile Anderson said:
I honestly do not know any relevant equations for this relationship.
Well except f=v/2l.
for which you expect the graph of 1/f versus L to look how ?

(oh, and check the 2: that is for a closed pipe).

Related to Determining the Wavelength of Sound using Resonance Tube

1. How does a resonance tube determine the wavelength of sound?

A resonance tube uses the principle of standing waves to determine the wavelength of sound. When a sound wave is produced at one end of the tube, it travels down the tube and reflects back at the closed end. If the length of the tube is an exact multiple of half the wavelength of the sound, the reflected wave will interfere constructively with the original wave, creating a standing wave pattern. By adjusting the length of the tube until the standing wave pattern is achieved, the wavelength of the sound can be determined.

2. What type of sound can be used to determine the wavelength using a resonance tube?

A resonance tube can be used to determine the wavelength of any type of sound wave, as long as it can be produced consistently and at a known frequency. This can include pure tones or even complex sounds such as music or speech.

3. How accurate is the resonance tube method for determining wavelength?

The accuracy of the resonance tube method depends on several factors, including the quality of the equipment and the skill of the experimenter. With proper calibration and technique, the method can achieve a high level of accuracy, often within a few percent of the actual wavelength.

4. Can a resonance tube be used to determine the wavelength of sound in different mediums?

Yes, a resonance tube can be used to determine the wavelength of sound in different mediums, as long as the medium is contained within the tube and the speed of sound in that medium is known. This can include gases, liquids, and even solids.

5. Are there any limitations or potential sources of error when using a resonance tube to determine the wavelength of sound?

One potential limitation of using a resonance tube to determine the wavelength of sound is that it relies on the assumption that the speed of sound in the medium is constant. In reality, the speed of sound can vary depending on factors such as temperature and humidity. Additionally, there may be experimental errors in measuring the length of the tube or identifying the standing wave pattern.