Determining the rate at which speed changes

In summary, a golfer sinks a hole-in-one on a mini-putt golf course with a speed of 4.04 m/s. The ball travels a distance of 4.38 m and bumps into a bank with a speed of 3.34 m/s, rebounds at 90° and travels a length of 3.26 m into the hole. Assuming a constant acceleration, the rate at which the speed of the golf ball changed over the distance L1 was incorrectly calculated to be -0.1598 m/s2. The correct calculation using SUVAT equations yielded an acceleration of -0.59 m/s2.
x2017

Homework Statement

A golfer sinks a hole-in-one on a mini-putt golf course. The ball leaves the putter face with a speed of 4.04 m/s, travels a distance of L1 = 4.38 m, and bumps into a bank with a speed of 3.34 m/s, rebounds at 90° and travels a length of L2 = 3.26 m into the hole.

Assuming a constant acceleration of the golf ball as it traveled over the distance L1, what was the rate at which the speed of the golf ball changed over the distance L1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(3.34-4.04)/4.38=-0.1598 (This is wrong)
1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you divide by L1?
Have you tried thinking about relevant equations that might help you solve the problem?
for instance what are the basic motion equations?
What do you understand by "rate at which speed changes"?

x2017 said:

Homework Statement

A golfer sinks a hole-in-one on a mini-putt golf course. The ball leaves the putter face with a speed of 4.04 m/s, travels a distance of L1 = 4.38 m, and bumps into a bank with a speed of 3.34 m/s, rebounds at 90° and travels a length of L2 = 3.26 m into the hole.

Assuming a constant acceleration of the golf ball as it traveled over the distance L1, what was the rate at which the speed of the golf ball changed over the distance L1?

Homework Equations

And you would know that it's wrong if you had looked at the units of this calculation.

What is m/s divided by meters? Hint: it's not m/s2.

You should review the SUVAT equations. There is one which applies directly to this problem.

http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R.Knott/MEI/MechSuvatEquns.html

x2017 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Dividing a speed by a distance is not going to yield an acceleration.
Do you know what I mean by SUVAT equations? Can you find one that involves the three things you know (initial speed, final speed, distance) and the unknown you want to find (acceleration)?

WrongMan said:
Why did you divide by L1?
Have you tried thinking about relevant equations that might help you solve the problem?
for instance what are the basic motion equations?
What do you understand by "rate at which speed changes"?
I divided by L1 because I was trying to make a rate. I'm not sure about equations, my professor only gave us equations that involve time and we don't have that variable in this equation that's why I'm so confused! "Rate at which speed changes" meant acceleration to me, which it says is constant. The equations I have to solve for acceleration all involve time...

SteamKing said:
And you would know that it's wrong if you had looked at the units of this calculation.

What is m/s divided by meters? Hint: it's not m/s2.

You should review the SUVAT equations. There is one which applies directly to this problem.

http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R.Knott/MEI/MechSuvatEquns.html
Thank you for linking me to the SUVAT equations. I tried v2 = u2 + 2 a s & got -0.58, which the computer told me was wrong also...

haruspex said:
Dividing a speed by a distance is not going to yield an acceleration.
Do you know what I mean by SUVAT equations? Can you find one that involves the three things you know (initial speed, final speed, distance) and the unknown you want to find (acceleration)?
I have just been introduced to the SUVAT equations today through this post!
I tried using v2 = u2 + 2 a s and got -0.58, which my online assignment told me was wrong as well. I'm not sure where I am going wrong...

are you rounding the number properly?

Oh and fyi you could have figured the result with the formulas your teacher gave you.
For example, using the displacement formula (since its given the acceleration is constant), you substitute "a" for "(vf-vi)/t" gettign rid of the squared t, then you find t, and then solve the velocity equation for a

WrongMan said:
are you rounding the number properly?
No, that was a silly mistake! -0.59 was the answer. Thank you for your help!

WrongMan said:
Oh and fyi you could have figured the result with the formulas your teacher gave you.
For example, using the displacement formula (since its given the acceleration is constant), you substitute "a" for "(vf-vi)/t" gettign rid of the squared t, then you find t, and then solve the velocity equation for a
OHHHHHH, awesome thank you! This stuff is review for my third year biomechanics university class & I remember almost nothing from my grade 12 physics. I knew acceleration being constant meant something, I just couldn't remember how it affected the problem. Looks like I should definitely spend some time online reading over some physics intro... Thanks again!

Related to Determining the rate at which speed changes

1. What factors affect the rate at which speed changes?

The rate at which speed changes can be affected by several factors, including the force applied, the mass of the object, and the friction or resistance acting on the object.

2. How is the rate of speed change calculated?

The rate of speed change is calculated by dividing the change in speed by the time it takes for the change to occur. This is known as the average acceleration and is expressed in units of distance per time squared.

3. Can the rate of speed change be negative?

Yes, the rate of speed change can be negative if the speed is decreasing. This is known as deceleration or negative acceleration.

4. How does the rate of speed change relate to the velocity of an object?

The rate of speed change and the velocity of an object are directly related. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, and the rate of speed change is the rate of change of an object's speed over time.

5. What methods can be used to determine the rate of speed change?

The rate of speed change can be determined using various methods, including measuring the time and distance traveled, using sensors to track the motion of an object, or using mathematical equations such as the average acceleration formula.