Determining the potential energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force and potential energy in classical mechanics. The formula for this relationship is ##F=-\nabla V(q_{1},q_{2},...,q_{i})##. To determine the potential energy, one can use the formula ##V(\vec{x})=-\int_{C(\vec{x}_0,\vec{x})} \mathrm{d} \vec{x}' \cdot \vec{F}(\vec{x}')##, where ##C(\vec{x}_0,\vec{x})## represents an arbitrary path and ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{F}=0##. The constants of integration do not matter and can be set to any
Andreas C
I have found that even though knowing the potential energy is vital for classical mechanics, most of the times what you know is actually the force, so you have to determine the potential energy based on that. So, here's the issue:

The relationship between the force and the potential energy is this:

##F=-\nabla V(q_{1},q_{2},...,q_{i})##

If I want to know the potential energy, what do I do? I had an idea, but I don't know if it is correct:

If ##F=-\nabla V(x,y,z)##, then V(x) is just minus the integral of F over x by treating y and z as a constant, and so on and so forth, and then if you want to know what V(x,y,z) is, you just add everything together. But then you'd get 3 different constants of integration that I don't know what they are.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
In classical mechanics, the potential energy is relative (all that matters is differences) and you can choose any reference level to treat as zero. When there are specific sources, the zero potential is conventionally assumed to be at infinite distance (i.e. what it would be in the absence of all the sources being considered).

Andreas C said:
But then you'd get 3 different constants of integration that I don't know what they are.
The constants of integration don't matter. You can set them to any convenient constant, usually 0.

Dale said:
The constants of integration don't matter. You can set them to any convenient constant, usually 0.
Sure, but is that method right?

Andreas C said:
Sure, but is that method right?
Not in general, but it does work in the case of spherical symmetry or other situations where you have only 1 coordinate to integrate over. Otherwise integration isn't the inverse of partial differentiation.

The potential, if it exists, is given by
$$V(\vec{x})=-\int_{C(\vec{x}_0,\vec{x})} \mathrm{d} \vec{x}' \cdot \vec{F}(\vec{x}').$$
Here ##C(\vec{x}_0,\vec{x})## denotes an arbitrary path connecting some arbitrary fixed point ##\vec{x}_0## with the variable point ##\vec{x}##.

The potential exists, if ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{F}=0## for simply connected regions of space. Then the integral is independent of the choice of the path connecting ##\vec{x}_0## and ##\vec{x}## within this simply connected region.

Likes Dale
vanhees71 said:
The potential, if it exists, is given by
$$V(\vec{x})=-\int_{C(\vec{x}_0,\vec{x})} \mathrm{d} \vec{x}' \cdot \vec{F}(\vec{x}').$$
Here ##C(\vec{x}_0,\vec{x})## denotes an arbitrary path connecting some arbitrary fixed point ##\vec{x}_0## with the variable point ##\vec{x}##.

The potential exists, if ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{F}=0## for simply connected regions of space. Then the integral is independent of the choice of the path connecting ##\vec{x}_0## and ##\vec{x}## within this simply connected region.

Hmm, could you offer an example? Say Fx=3x, Fy=4y, the body starts from point (X,Y), and ends up in (0,0). What's the potential energy?

That doesn't make sense. The potential is given by the formula I've given not from what you suggest. So your force (in 2D obviously) is
$$\vec{F}=a x \vec{e}_x + b y \vec{e}_y.$$
Obviously that force is defined in the entire plane and analytic there. You have also obviously ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{F}=0##. So it's a conservative force, and we can use my formula (although here it's much simpler to solve the partial differential equations defining the potential, but let's do my formula).

I can choose any path I like and any fixed starting point of the path I like. So let's take ##\vec{x}_0=(0,0)## and as a path the straight line to ##\vec{x}=(x,y)##. To evaluate the line integrals you need a parametrization of the path, which is very simple here
$$\vec{x}'(\lambda)=\lambda \vec{x}, \quad \lambda \in [0,1].$$
The integral thus reads (because of ##\mathrm{d} \vec{x}'=\mathrm{d} \lambda \vec{x}##)
$$V(\vec{x})=-\int_0^1 \mathrm{d} \lambda \vec{x} \cdot \vec{F}(\vec{x}') = - \int_0^1 \mathrm{d} \lambda \lambda (a x^2+b y^2)=-\frac{1}{2} (a x^2+b y^2).$$
Now let's check, whether this is correct by evaluating the gradient. Indeed, we have
$$-\vec{\nabla} V=-\vec{e}_x \partial_x V-\vec{e}_y \partial_y V=a x \vec{e}_x+b y \vec{e}_y.$$
Obviously you have an anistropic harmonic oscillator in the plane (already in normal coordinates).

vanhees71 said:
That doesn't make sense. The potential is given by the formula I've given not from what you suggest. So your force (in 2D obviously) is
$$\vec{F}=a x \vec{e}_x + b y \vec{e}_y.$$
Obviously that force is defined in the entire plane and analytic there. You have also obviously ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{F}=0##. So it's a conservative force, and we can use my formula (although here it's much simpler to solve the partial differential equations defining the potential, but let's do my formula).

I can choose any path I like and any fixed starting point of the path I like. So let's take ##\vec{x}_0=(0,0)## and as a path the straight line to ##\vec{x}=(x,y)##. To evaluate the line integrals you need a parametrization of the path, which is very simple here
$$\vec{x}'(\lambda)=\lambda \vec{x}, \quad \lambda \in [0,1].$$
The integral thus reads (because of ##\mathrm{d} \vec{x}'=\mathrm{d} \lambda \vec{x}##)
$$V(\vec{x})=-\int_0^1 \mathrm{d} \lambda \vec{x} \cdot \vec{F}(\vec{x}') = - \int_0^1 \mathrm{d} \lambda \lambda (a x^2+b y^2)=-\frac{1}{2} (a x^2+b y^2).$$
Now let's check, whether this is correct by evaluating the gradient. Indeed, we have
$$-\vec{\nabla} V=-\vec{e}_x \partial_x V-\vec{e}_y \partial_y V=a x \vec{e}_x+b y \vec{e}_y.$$
Obviously you have an anistropic harmonic oscillator in the plane (already in normal coordinates).

Oh no, I didn't claim the potential is given by a different formula, I just asked for an example with numbers. So for that force (Fx=3x, Fy=4y) and for that path, the potential is -(3x^2+4y^2)?

Although your force doesn't make sense, because it has the wrong dimensions, of course you can plug in numbers for ##a## and ##b##. I guess what you wanted to write is ##a=3 \text{N}{\text{m}}##, ##b=4 \text{N}/\text{m}##. Then, as I've shown in my previous posting ##V=-(3x^2+4y^2)/2 \text{N}/\text{m}##. Then of course, you have an reversed harmonic oscillator, i.e., a repelling force.

vanhees71 said:
Although your force doesn't make sense, because it has the wrong dimensions, of course you can plug in numbers for ##a## and ##b##. I guess what you wanted to write is ##a=3 \text{N}{\text{m}}##, ##b=4 \text{N}/\text{m}##. Then, as I've shown in my previous posting ##V=-(3x^2+4y^2)/2 \text{N}/\text{m}##. Then of course, you have an reversed harmonic oscillator, i.e., a repelling force.
Ooooh that's what you meant! Ok, yeah, I know, the dimensions were a bit wrong, but what I meant was that the magnitude of the x component of the force is proportional to 3 times the x distance from the origin. I just ignored the units.

Related to Determining the potential energy

1. What is potential energy and how is it determined?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or condition. It is determined by the mass of the object, its height, and the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you calculate potential energy?

Potential energy can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. What is the unit of measurement for potential energy?

The unit of measurement for potential energy is joules (J).

4. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the object is below a reference point, such as the ground level. In this case, the potential energy is considered to be the amount of work required to bring the object up to the reference point.

5. How is potential energy used in real life applications?

Potential energy is used in many real-life applications, such as hydropower, where the potential energy of water stored in a dam is converted into kinetic energy to turn turbines and generate electricity. It is also used in roller coasters, where the potential energy of the cars at the top of a hill is converted into kinetic energy as they go down the track. Additionally, potential energy is used in bungee jumping and rock climbing as a way to store and release energy.