Determining the growth rate of a function

In summary, the conversation is about determining the growth rate of a function. The solution given is not fully explained and it is unclear how the first line relates to the final expression, which is in the form of \Theta(n^{2/3}). However, it is acknowledged that the solution is correct. It is also mentioned that the first line is part of a larger problem that has not been provided.
DanSlevin
I'm trying to figure out the growth rate of a function. Below is what I believe to be the solution, but I'm wondering if I've properly taken into account all the factors necessary, so I wanted to see if this appears correct.

$$\Large\frac{3(n+1)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{2}-\frac{3(1)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{2}$$

$$\Large\frac{3}{2}((n+1)^{\frac{2}{3}}-1) $$

$$\Large\Theta(n^{\frac{2}{3}}) $$

Physics news on Phys.org
DanSlevin said:
I'm trying to figure out the growth rate of a function. Below is what I believe to be the solution, but I'm wondering if I've properly taken into account all the factors necessary, so I wanted to see if this appears correct.

$$\Large\frac{3(n+1)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{2}-\frac{3(1)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{2}$$

$$\Large\frac{3}{2}((n+1)^{\frac{2}{3}}-1) $$

$$\Large\Theta(n^{\frac{2}{3}}) $$

It does not appear correct because you provide no explanation of how you get from the first line to the last or indeed what the relationship between the expression on the first line is with that on the last.

It is indeed the case that

\[\large \left[ \frac{3(n+1)^{2/3}}{2}-\frac{3(1)^{2/3}}{2}\right]\in \Theta(n^{2/3}) \]

but I won't say your explanation is inadequate because it is not an explanation at all. Also the form of your first line suggests that this is part of a larger problem, which you really should have posted.

CB

Related to Determining the growth rate of a function

1. What is the definition of a growth rate of a function?

The growth rate of a function refers to the rate at which the output of a function changes with respect to the input. It measures how quickly the output of a function changes as the input increases.

2. How do you calculate the growth rate of a function?

The growth rate of a function can be calculated by finding the derivative of the function. The derivative represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a specific point. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by finding the ratio of the change in output to the change in input.

3. What does a positive growth rate indicate?

A positive growth rate indicates that as the input increases, the output of the function also increases. This means that the function is growing and its rate of growth is positive.

4. How can you determine the growth rate of a function from its graph?

The growth rate of a function can be determined from its graph by looking at the slope of the curve at any given point. The steeper the slope, the higher the growth rate. Additionally, if the graph is a straight line, the growth rate is constant.

5. What factors can affect the growth rate of a function?

The growth rate of a function can be affected by various factors such as the complexity of the function, the value of its constants, and the behavior of the function at different input values. It can also be influenced by external factors such as the environment in which the function is being used.