Determining the convergence or divergence of a sequence using comparison test

In summary, the series $\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} {4}^{\frac{1}{k}}$ diverges because the limit of $4^{\frac{1}{k}}$ as $k$ approaches infinity is not equal to 0. This is a key test for determining the convergence or divergence of a series.
tmt1
I have this series:

$$\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} {4}^{\frac{1}{k}}$$

To solve this, I am trying to compare it to this series

$$\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} {4}^{k}$$

So, I can let $a_k = {4}^{\frac{1}{k}} $ and $b_k = {4}^{k}$

These seem to be both positive series and $ 0 \le a_k \le b_k$

Therefore, if $\sum_{}^{} b_k$ converges then $\sum_{}^{} a_k$ converges and if $\sum_{}^{} a_k$ diverges, then $\sum_{}^{} b_k $ diverges.

However, if $\sum_{}^{} b_k $ diverges, that doesn't guarantee that $\sum_{}^{} a_k$ diverges.

In this case, $\sum_{}^{} b_k $ diverges as $$\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} {4}^{k}$$ diverges (as $4 > 1$). However, I'm not sure what to conclude with this information.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
$a_k=1^{1/k},\,b_k=4^{1/k}$, but $\sum a_k$ diverges and $b_k>a_k\forall\,k\in\mathbb{N}$. Without comparison, simply note that no matter how large $k$ gets, $4^{1/k}>1$.

tmt said:
I have this series:

$$\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} {4}^{\frac{1}{k}}$$

To solve this, I am trying to compare it to this series

$$\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} {4}^{k}$$

So, I can let $a_k = {4}^{\frac{1}{k}} $ and $b_k = {4}^{k}$

These seem to be both positive series and $ 0 \le a_k \le b_k$

Therefore, if $\sum_{}^{} b_k$ converges then $\sum_{}^{} a_k$ converges and if $\sum_{}^{} a_k$ diverges, then $\sum_{}^{} b_k $ diverges.

However, if $\sum_{}^{} b_k $ diverges, that doesn't guarantee that $\sum_{}^{} a_k$ diverges.

In this case, $\sum_{}^{} b_k $ diverges as $$\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} {4}^{k}$$ diverges (as $4 > 1$). However, I'm not sure what to conclude with this information.

A series only ever has the possibility of converging if the sequence of values being added decreases to 0. In other words, if $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{k \to \infty} 4^{\frac{1}{k}} \neq 0 \end{align*}$ then the series diverges.

But hang on, $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{k \to \infty} 4^{\frac{1}{k}} = 4^0 = 1 \end{align*}$. As this is not zero the series must diverge.

This is ALWAYS the first test you should try for ANY series!

Prove It said:
A series only ever has the possibility of converging if the sequence of values being added decreases to 0. In other words, if $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{k \to \infty} 4^{\frac{1}{k}} \neq 0 \end{align*}$ then the series diverges.

But hang on, $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{k \to \infty} 4^{\frac{1}{k}} = 4^0 = 1 \end{align*}$. As this is not zero the series must diverge.

This is ALWAYS the first test you should try for ANY series!

Ok this is very helpful, thank you

Related to Determining the convergence or divergence of a sequence using comparison test

1. How do you determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence using comparison test?

The comparison test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence by comparing it to a known convergent or divergent sequence. If the sequence being tested has terms that are always less than or equal to the corresponding terms of the known sequence, and the known sequence is convergent, then the original sequence is also convergent. If the sequence being tested has terms that are always greater than or equal to the corresponding terms of the known sequence, and the known sequence is divergent, then the original sequence is also divergent.

2. What is a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence in which the terms get closer and closer to a fixed value as the sequence progresses. This fixed value is known as the limit of the sequence. In other words, a convergent sequence has a finite limit and the terms approach this limit as the sequence goes on.

3. What is a divergent sequence?

A divergent sequence is a sequence in which the terms do not approach a fixed value as the sequence progresses. Instead, the terms may increase or decrease without bound, or they may oscillate between different values. In other words, a divergent sequence does not have a finite limit.

4. What are some common examples of known convergent or divergent sequences used in the comparison test?

Some common examples of known convergent sequences include geometric sequences, where the common ratio is between -1 and 1, and p-series, where p is greater than 1. Known divergent sequences include harmonic series, where the terms are the reciprocals of positive integers, and the sequence of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...).

5. Are there any other methods for determining the convergence or divergence of a sequence?

Yes, there are other methods such as the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These methods can be used when the terms of a sequence involve powers or factorials. However, the comparison test is often simpler and more straightforward to use in many cases.