Determining GPS Receiver Position with Satellite Distance Differences

In summary, the global positioning system (GPS) uses the time delay of signals from two satellites to determine the distance difference and does not require an atomic clock. In part a, the quadric of all points with a distance difference of 1 between two satellites is a hyperboloid of two sheets. In part b, the distance difference between three satellites can be found using vector addition, and this shows that three satellites are not enough to determine the location of the receiver. In part c, with four satellites and additional rough location information, the GPS receiver position can be determined, and the set of points for which these distances match is a point, indicating the precise location of the receiver.
Maruchan

Homework Statement

The global positioning system GPS uses the fact that a receiver can get the difference of distances to two satellites. Each GPS satellite sends periodically signals which are triggered by an atomic clock. While the distance to each satellite is not known, the difference from the distances to two satellites can be determined from the time delay of the two signals. This clever trick has the consequence that the receiver does not need to contain an atomic clock itself.

a) (7 points) Given two satellites P=(2,0,0), Q=(0,0,0) in space. Identify the quadric of all points X, such that the distance d(X,P) to P is by 1 larger than the distance d(X,Q) to Q. b) (1 point) Assume we have three satellites P,Q and R in space and that the receiver at X knows the distances d(X,P) - d(X,Q) and d(X,P) - d(X,R). Why do we know the distance d(X,Q) - d(X,R) also? Conclude that 3 satellites are not enough to determine the location of the receiver. c) (2 points) Assume we have 4 satellites P,Q,R,S in space and that the receiver knows all the distance differences from X to any pair of satellites from the 4. What is in general the set of points for which these distances match? Conclude that with some additional rough location information we can determine the GPS receiver position when 4 satellites are visiable.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a fairly easily; I set the distance formulas equations equal and squared both sides, manipulated then squared again.
I ended up with an answer of 12(x-1)^2-4y^2-4z^2=3 which is a hyperboloid of two sheets.

Part b I'm not entirely certain, but I believe that an application of the vector addition triangle law might be able to solve this. Can someone elaborate/clarify for me?

Part c is the portion I need the most help with. I'm not certain what the question is asking or what form my solution needs to take. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help?

I have somewhat of an idea about part c...if we have 2 satellites it goes to a plane, 3 satellites goes to a curve, 4 satellites goes to a point...but how would I show this mathematically?

Related to Determining GPS Receiver Position with Satellite Distance Differences

1. What is the purpose of the "Applied Calculus GPS Problem"?

The purpose of the "Applied Calculus GPS Problem" is to apply the principles of calculus to solve real-world problems related to navigation and location tracking using GPS technology.

2. What are some common examples of "Applied Calculus GPS Problem"?

Examples of "Applied Calculus GPS Problem" include determining the shortest route between two locations, estimating the velocity and acceleration of a moving object using GPS data, and predicting the future location of a moving object based on its current position and velocity.

3. What mathematical concepts are involved in solving "Applied Calculus GPS Problem"?

The main mathematical concepts involved in solving "Applied Calculus GPS Problem" include derivatives, integrals, optimization, and differential equations. These concepts are used to analyze the motion, velocity, and acceleration of objects in relation to their GPS coordinates.

4. How is calculus used in GPS technology?

Calculus is used in GPS technology to determine the location, velocity, and acceleration of objects by analyzing the changes in their GPS coordinates over time. It also helps in optimizing routes and predicting the future location of objects based on their current GPS data.

5. What are the practical applications of "Applied Calculus GPS Problem"?

The practical applications of "Applied Calculus GPS Problem" include navigation and location tracking, transportation and logistics planning, and sports analytics. It is also used in various industries such as aviation, marine, and automotive for efficient and accurate tracking and navigation.