Determining g with a Compound Pendulum: Issues with Uncertainties

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment using a compound pendulum to determine the value of g. The person has encountered a problem with uncertainties and is seeking advice on how to combine them. They also have a question about measuring heights and how to calculate the error. A formula for calculating the error using propagation of errors is provided, but the person is still confused and needs further clarification.
trelek2
Hi all!

I'm currently doing an experiment using a compound pendulum trying to determine the value of g.

I have a problem with my uncertainties:

Error in period T:
The period is measured with the use of a photo-gate of accuracy +/- 0.0001s.
For each height i did 20 measurements from which i calculated average period and from the standard deviation I have the standard error of mean. However due to the fact that I made so many measurements the standard error of mean sometimes appears to be smaller than the actual precision of the photo-gate (for example +/- 0.00007s). What should I do in this case? I'm guessing I somehow need to combine these uncertainties?

I have another question concerning the heights.
I firstly had to measure the length of the whole pendulum to find the centre of mass being in the middle. Then I mark the center of mass and measure different heights up to the edge of clamp (this all using a meter stick). Then I measure the distance between edge of clamp and axis of rotation using vernier caliper.
Overall I guess it goes like this (correct me if I'm wrong)
Uncertainty of meter stick (with the help of magnifying glass) is 1/3mm so +/- 0,3mm.
And since I use this uncertainty twice (not sure if center of mass is exactly where marked) AND then when measuring distance to edge of clamp -this gives me +/- 0,6mm and I need to combine this with the uncertainty in the distance on clamp which is +/-0,05mm. So it is sqrt(0,6^2+0,05^2)?
Thank you in advance for all the help.
PS. If you're not sure please don't reply as I don't want to get more confused than I am.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Using the propagation of errors you have [tex]\sigma _g^2=\frac{16 \pi ^4 \sigma _L^2}{T^4}+\frac{64 L^2 \pi ^4
\sigma _T^2}{T^6}[/tex] where all of the sigma terms are standard deviations, not standard errors.

DaleSpam said:
Using the propagation of errors you have [tex]\sigma _g^2=\frac{16 \pi ^4 \sigma _L^2}{T^4}+\frac{64 L^2 \pi ^4
\sigma _T^2}{T^6}[/tex] where all of the sigma terms are standard deviations, not standard errors.
Sorry, but I don't understand how this helps me. I thought I explained what I'm doing quite clearly. I need to know what my error for the periods and heights will be.

Related to Determining g with a Compound Pendulum: Issues with Uncertainties

What is a compound pendulum?

A compound pendulum is a physical system consisting of a rigid body attached to a pivot point and allowed to oscillate freely. It is different from a simple pendulum in that the rigid body has a non-negligible size and shape, which can affect the behavior of the system.

Why is determining g with a compound pendulum important?

Determining the value of acceleration due to gravity, g, is important in many areas of physics and engineering. It can help us understand the behavior of objects in free fall and the motion of pendulums. It is also a fundamental constant used in many equations and calculations.

What are the main issues with uncertainties when determining g with a compound pendulum?

The main issues with uncertainties in this experiment stem from the limitations of the equipment and the experimental setup. These can include variations in the length and mass of the pendulum, air resistance, and imperfections in the pivot point. These uncertainties can affect the accuracy and precision of the results.

How can we minimize uncertainties when determining g with a compound pendulum?

To minimize uncertainties, it is important to carefully control and measure the variables involved in the experiment. This can include using a high-precision timer to measure the period of oscillation, ensuring the pendulum is suspended from a stable pivot point, and repeating the experiment multiple times to obtain an average value.

What are some sources of error in determining g with a compound pendulum?

Sources of error can include human error in timing and measuring, environmental factors such as air resistance and temperature changes, and limitations of the equipment used. Proper calibration and careful attention to detail can help reduce these errors.